The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Possible to install ABS brakes?

Hey everybody. I recently bought a 2002 Alti, 2.5 with power brakes. I was curious as to the possibility of installing ABS brakes and how much it would run for (to have someone do it). Also, (keep in mind I'm not too knowledgeable about the inner working of cars, but...) would I notice a great difference between power brakes and ABS or is there a greater advantage?

Thanks.
J

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I believe all 2002-2005 altimas have disc brakes standard. Are you talking about ABS? ABS is the only brake option on the new altimas that I know of.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Under normal conditions you probably wouldn't notice any difference between ABS and non ABS. You really notice it when you slam on the brakes and start to lock up. With ABS the brakes basically engage and disengage (kind of like pumping the brakes) to help you not lock up and skid or slide. Regular brakes will just lock up and you'll slide. ABS is supposed to stop you sooner in that situation. It is very noticable in slippery conditions.

I doubt it would be very cost effective do have ABS added. I'm not sure what is exactly involved though but it would probably have to be done at the dealership. I would think it would be a little too complicated and vehicle specific for a small brake shop to do it. I don't have ABS. I have had ABS in the past. If I lived where it snowed a lot I'd probably be more concerned about it but down here the regular brakes do just fine, just don't let them lock up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts