1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
True dat?

Early Pot Smokers Become Addicts, U.S. Study Says
Wed Aug 28, 5:52 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The younger someone is when first trying marijuana, the more likely he or she is to become dependent on illegal drugs later in life, U.S. government researchers said on Wednesday.

They found that 62 percent of adults aged 26 or older who first started using marijuana before they were 15 had also tried cocaine at some point.

More than 9 percent reported they had used heroin and more than half had used prescription drugs for recreational purposes.

Less than 1 percent of those who said they had never tried marijuana reported having tried cocaine or heroin and just 5 percent had abused prescription drugs, the report, by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, found.

"These findings are of grave concern because studies show smoking marijuana leads to changes in the brain similar to those caused by cocaine, heroin and alcohol," SAMHSA administrator Charles Curie said in a statement.

"Heavy marijuana abuse impairs the ability of young people to retain information during their peak learning years when their brains are still developing," Curie added.

"Every day in this country, more than 3,000 people -- most of them under the age of 18 -- use marijuana for the first time. Their early marijuana use exposes them to risks of drug dependencies, long-term physical and cognitive consequences, and social problems," White House Office of National Drug Control Policy Director John Walters said in a statement.

The report, based on National Household Survey data, found that 18 percent of adults who said they first tried pot before the age of 15 met the criteria for either dependence or abuse of alcohol or illicit drugs, compared to 2.1 percent of adults who said they had never used marijuana.

The survey also found that an estimated 2 million Americans 12 or older said they had used marijuana for the first time in 1999, down from 2.5 million in 1998.

Other researchers have found that teenagers who start smoking are more likely to become addicted to nicotine than people who wait to try cigarettes when they are adults.

·
Rollin'
1,388 Posts
blegh, statistics suck ass, i smoked bud every day all day from when i was 9 yrs till 11 yrs old and stopped and went through high school in honors/AP and started smoking again senior year and graduated w/honors and a 3.92 GPA, w/out honors adjustment.........it's the PERSON not the drug......blegh at government and their gay statistics.............

·
de-moderator
2,134 Posts
my friend smoked bud 2-3x a day MINIMUM and just left for YALE University and he doesn't have to pay a DIME! I got just as bad of grades.. actually i got worse grades when i didn't smoke than when i do :rolleyes: **** them. BTW i didn't read the article just thoght i'd share my thoughts.

·
de-moderator
2,134 Posts
Ill AvB Ill said:
my friend smoked bud 2-3x a day MINIMUM and just left for YALE University and he doesn't have to pay a DIME! I got just as bad of grades.. actually i got worse grades when i didn't smoke than when i do :rolleyes: **** them. BTW i didn't read the article just thoght i'd share my thoughts.
ok, that had nothing to do with the article heh. i was just going along with PIMPG303

·
Rollin'
1,388 Posts
Ill AvB Ill said:

ok, that had nothing to do with the article heh. i was just going along with PIMPG303
yeah it did, the artice said "Heavy marijuana abuse impairs the ability of young people to retain information during their peak learning years when their brains are still developing" :D

·
Nissan tech in training
5,700 Posts
good taste. i dont know what they say about the memory lose thing. ive of course, always had problems concentrating on small things, like getting dishes, taking out the trash and changing the oil. but the most common reason is that there is water in the spark plugs. cleaning this out will stop the problem and has helped he focus more in school. so ya, it is the user, i think.

·
Energy Liberation Front
1,290 Posts
What the article fails to mention is whether Smoking pot literally induces one to go onto heavier drugs, or if the continuation of drug experimentation is due to the fact that young kids who are willing to try pot are generally more likely to later experiment with a wide body of risky behaviors. This may actually stem from early environmental factors such as parental neglect, etc. It's the “chicken or the egg” conundrum.

·
Energy Liberation Front
1,290 Posts
I can't believe pot is even seriously discussed anymore...out of all the other dangers in the world, some people decide to focus on this...boggles my mind.

·
Rollin'
1,388 Posts
some folks say that smokin' herb is a crime
if they catch ya smokin' they're bound to drop tha dime
insuferable informal crazy fools
wait with their fingers crossed for you to break tha rules
and in tha evening, we try to jam
we like tha music loud in this here band
we let tha bass drop as loud as we can stand
somebody always gotta turn in for tha man

i wanna know know right now
is there one of you in the crowd
are ya gonna call 9-1-1
and spoil all of my fun
your craaaaa....zyy foools

i'm in tha mood
get ready
i'm in tha moood
come on now, yeah
i'm in tha mood
are ya ready
i'm in tha mooood
come on now yeah
come on

load up tha bong, crank up tha song
let me here someone call 911
load up tha bong, crank up tha song
let me here someone call 911
and when security police force wanna ride
don't try to run, don't try to hide
just pull out tha 9, pop in tha clip, and let one slip
into these craaaaazy fools......

i'm in tha mooodd........

heheheheheeh:D

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
I smoked pot 20 times and never got high. I hope I didnt waste any brain cells. I smoked hashish and weed last time I smoked and I also had 5 beers and I passed out, but it felt gooooood.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts