The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a method I used to power some accessories in my '03 3.5 SE. The wiring is independent from the OEM wiring, so the warranty is maintained.

Main power is obtained by a 10 ga wire directly from the battery, thru the firewall, to a SPST relay. Then I ran 10 ga wire from the relay to a fuse block - both the relay and fuse block are under the dash. The fuse block has capacity for 6 separate circuits, each rated for 30A max up to a total of 120A. The relay is rated for 30A max.

The relay is triggered by a switch that I installed in the hole for the cigarette lighter assembly. Power for the switch is via a tap into the cigarette lighter circuit. Wired in this manner, the fuse block only has power if the switch is turned on. You could easily modify this by getting the relay trigger voltage from a fuse tap in the OEM fuse block. The great thing about relays is that they draw very little current (less than 200 milliamps).

To install the switch, I just cut off the back of the cigarette lighter assembly. The switch fit perfectly into the hole.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dnvrfan said:
So what do you power with that switch??
I'm a volunteer firefighter, so I currently use the switched fuse block to power a hard-wired blue strobe light on the windshield, a siren amp connected to 100W speaker in the front grill, and a multi-pattern high-beam headlight flasher.

This setup could be used to power any accessories - neons, foglights, radar detector, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts