The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing is when I try to start the car the dashboard flickers and power goes out. I used a second battery to start the car. Both batteries are charged but the car barely has enough power with both batteries connected. While I was trying to figure that out i noticed that the power to the radio and dashboard goes out when I turn left or right. Never did that before. You could hear the steering wheel hit the end both ways. Now it looks like something in the steering column maybe. I don't know. Has anyone had this issue. I'm on disability and taking the car to the dealership is out of the question. I can't afford that right now. Anyone have any suggestions please help. This is my transportation to and from the chemo doctor. Thank you in advance for reading this. Sincerely John

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
You seem to say at least one battery is dead or you wouldn't need another. If the second one is dead too then you can charge until the end of the planet and still have troubles if the power steering is electric. You need a single known good battery that will pass a loadtest or wasting your time. The car of course will not care.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I never thought about testing the second battery. If that battery has low amps as well then I'll never get anywhere. I appreciate your advice. That's all I need to decide to go test the battery and buy a new one which now I believe it is the battery. Taking the second one to test it out for my neighbor. He'll appreciate the test. Thank you again. I'm on my way now. I will post the outcome later. Stay safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. My battery was no good and my neighbors as well. Put in a new battery and it started up immediately also I tried turning the steering wheel both ways to the stops and nothing happened to the power stayed on my the shop gave me a 2 for 1 deal and I got my neighbors replaced for free. He said he was having trouble starting in the morning but thought it was the cold. He appreciated it as much as I did borrowing his battery while he was home. Thank you very much for the information. I didn't think of both batteries going out. Jumping my car so many times killed the last of his battery as well as well. Saved a bundle because I am sure a shop would have said I needed an alternator or starter since I have no clue. Forums are the best. Sincerely John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts