The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to my car and started it and turned on the AC and car shut off.Started it again and turned on the radio,headlights,and AC and it shut down again.Noticed some corrosion on the positive terminal.Took some COKE and got some of it off.Positive cable IS connected tightly and it didnt act funny all day.

Now...battery is three yrs old(factory) and I was thinking maybe it was the battery.Last time I had an issue like this the positive caable was loose.That is not the issue this time.

And plz dont say its the ALTERNATOR...cause you know NISSAN is gonna charge an arm and a leg for a new one.

I am gonna clean the terminal at lunch with one of those lil terminal cleaners and coat it with some grease to stop the corrosion.

Anyone have any other ideas????

·
Registered
714 Posts
you proly need a new battery, for some reason car audio shit often fucks your battery up, but anyways if you needed a new alternator your whole car would not start or it would start for one second and turn right off.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Check the terminal cables. It might be all corroded under the insulation. That can restrict the flow of the juice.

·
Girl-Moderator
4,061 Posts
HK, are you sure the battery has water in it? I have seen too many atime people run the battery with no water, than a cell ends up dying in the battery and it's no good. It tends to evaporate quicker in the summer months. Distilled is recommended, but tap will work just as well. Check that, also just cruise it down to the Autozone and let them hook the machine up to it to see if it has plents of amps. If so , it's something else, like maybe your cable.

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah...I think it might be the battery.I am goign to AUTOZONE at lunch so wish me luck...

[thinks to self]PLEASE DONT LET IT BE THE ALTERNATOR[/thinks to self]:D

·
ASE certified wiseass
431 Posts
Probably not the alternator.

Sounds like you have a bad ground cable.

If there is enough juice to restart it three times, then the battery is fine too.

If you had no alternator, the car would start, run for a while, then die permanently.

The start-stop problem you note is probably due to a loose body ground for the ground cable.

Good luck.

Randy

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone.

car would not start when I went to lunch,got jump,car statred up on the first try.Went to Autozone and battery tested OK.Manager stated that it is bad connection.Spent 4 bucks on cleaner and grease.(DAmn it was hot outside:D)Cleaned everything and WAH-LAH...car started right up.had AC on full blast with stereo blastin and no shut off......thank GOD.

Thanks for the advice peeps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts