The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2014 Altima S with 31K miles from Hertz. Both of the cigarette lighters/12V power outlets in the car don't work. I tried replacing the 20v fuse in the box to the left of the driver's seat but this didn't help. I'm not entirely sure I replaced the correct fuse, since I had to look up the fuse diagram online. Can anyone point to the correct fuse diagram?

Assuming I replaced the correct fuse: Is there another fuse in the engine compartment for this circuit? Any other ideas? The car had a Hertz "Never Lost" navigation unit installed at the time I bought it, which was hard-wired into the car's electrical system. The guy who removed it said that it took power from the radio/stereo, not from the cigarette lighter circuit, so it shouldn't have interfered. But he also said there's a plug behind the dash where the power outlets plug into something else (a harness or something) and suggested I check that. Before I rip the dash apart to look for that plug, I'd like to eliminate other possible causes. Any thoughts? Or is there a circuit/wiring diagram I could refer to? Thanks.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out I was looking at the wrong fuse diagram. Referring to the correct diagram, I found that each of the power outlets has its own 20A fuse, and they were both blown. I replaced the fuses and now I'm back in business.

Jin, I bought the car for $13,500 through the Hertz Rent2buy program. You choose the car online at a fixed price, then rent it for 3 days. If you like it, you keep it and start the paperwork to buy. There is a discount if you are a AAA member. The cars are "as is" but you get whatever is left of the factory warranties. In the case of my car, there are some minor dings, and one of the keys was missing (which ends up costing $200-300 to replace). At the time I bought, I didn't realize that the outlets didn't work, and I didn't notice that the cover to the interior fuse box was missing (and along with it, the fuse diagram). I can only imagine what led to this. I can envision that somebody rented the car, probably brought along an inverter plug, then attempted to run maybe a microwave and toaster at the same time, or charge his buddy's rented Prius, who knows--but in any case, blew a fuse--then repeated the process with the other outlet. Once both were blown, the guy then tried to replace the fuse, but only got as far as removing the cover (and losing it) before saying "screw it" and leaving the outlets inoperative.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts