The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2015 Altima SV and when I turn the steering wheel while not moving or moving very slowly I feel a pulsing through the steering wheel. It does not do it under normal driving and turning situations.

I have an el shaped drive way which makes me have to turn the steering wheel while moving slowly or completely stopped. Is this normal? The Accord I just got rid of did not do this.

I did a search and found a thread on whine, but not pulsing. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just bought a 2015 Altima SV and when I turn the steering wheel while not moving or moving very slowly I feel a pulsing through the steering wheel. It does not do it under normal driving and turning situations.

I have an el shaped drive way which makes me have to turn the steering wheel while moving slowly or completely stopped. Is this normal? The Accord I just got rid of did not do this.

I did a search and found a thread on whine, but not pulsing. Thanks for any help you can provide.
I re-read what you posted and missed that this happens while stopped. My bad tire/tread separation theory wouldn't cause this.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Don't you have 'electric' power steering? If so, the pulse you feel may be the control loop on the stepper motor which controls the steering rack fighting the elasticity of your sidewalls. Basically you turn the wheel to for instance 59 degrees left, and the motor control loop actuates, 0.5.10....50,55,60,59...but it 'overshoots' as your car position shifts relative to the ground tread position due to flex in the sidewall...which takes you back to say 56 degrees...motor activates...back to 59' which is all built into the flex of the sidewall....and because of the time to do all this you wind up with 56-59-56-59 sequence as things flex.

IF my WAG theory is correct, then if you are continuously adjusting the steering wheel position as you drive slowly, you shouldn't feel the pulsing. Imagine doing a slight L-R-L continuous weave as you move slowly (ie never allow the steering wheel to stay at rest).

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense to me and thank you for your input.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't you have 'electric' power steering? If so, the pulse you feel may be the control loop on the stepper motor which controls the steering rack fighting the elasticity of your sidewalls. Basically you turn the wheel to for instance 59 degrees left, and the motor control loop actuates, 0.5.10....50,55,60,59...but it 'overshoots' as your car position shifts relative to the ground tread position due to flex in the sidewall...which takes you back to say 56 degrees...motor activates...back to 59' which is all built into the flex of the sidewall....and because of the time to do all this you wind up with 56-59-56-59 sequence as things flex.

IF my WAG theory is correct, then if you are continuously adjusting the steering wheel position as you drive slowly, you shouldn't feel the pulsing. Imagine doing a slight L-R-L continuous weave as you move slowly (ie never allow the steering wheel to stay at rest).
Will this have any effect on the power steering pump over time? I have to do this every time I go into or out of my garage. It is such a short distance, about two car lengths that it doesn't give much time or room to turn the wheels back and forth. It seems like it might also cause undue wear on the tires over time.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I assume that this is a problem no one else is experiencing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts