The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Black Widow Owner
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2nd gen altima... my power window switch gave out probably about a month ago now. After reading many threads, I realize this is a major issue that happens with the Altimas. I've called several junk yards, and apparently they get gone pretty quick.

Anyways, besides that.. its Sunday, my switch got knocked down (rolls down, but not up), and the window came all the way down.. now with out another switch, I am stuck. Tried taking the switch out, pulling off the main window button, and the rockers are burned out. Tried everything to try to get some kind of connection to get it rolled up, but no luck.

My question is, being Sunday, and nothing open today, does anyone know if it is possible to manually pull the window up.. If I can get it up, I will use something to lock it until a new switch comes in. I noticed after taking my panel off, the window is on like a pulley and its locked, so you can't manually pull it up.. is there a way to get around that? I do have a neighbor that has a 2nd gen, and I tried going over to see if anyone was home to do a quick swap to get it up, but no one's home, and I can't count on them being home tonight. Also, I work tomorrow in downtown Charlotte, and that's not a place to leave a window down, especially with a kit, rims, etc...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
I AM LEGEND
10,874 Posts
I think your stuck like chuck,pulling on the window might cause some damage.Either get with your neighbor or fork over 70-90 bucks to a dealer.They usually have them in stock.

·
Black Widow Owner
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, after fooling around with it, I got it back up with no switch. Had to unbolt the window, pull out the glass, then take the motor off the regulator. Once those 2 were apart, you can move the window up and down.. so I slid back in the glass after moving the pully down.. moved the glass up by hand, then slide the motor back on the regulator and screwed it back in so the window won't move. Now, I am ordering a new switch.

·
Sonique Xtrordinaire
584 Posts
Garage Battle said:
you prolly have a broken solder point in the control box.

take your time, crack it open slowly, look for a broken solder connection.
exactly what you've done... the solder points are unbelievable brittle and shouldnt be that way.. especially since if u ever taket hat door skin off you pretty much have to test their strength to take the controller out. If ur good with a soldering iron u can fix it urself.. just find the point thats loose.

·
Firday Misspeller
805 Posts
Doesn't your model allow you to wind the window up or down with the key in the door ? Or that didn't come out until the 3rd generation?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just had this exact same problem; window was disconnected when I bought th car. This thread stopped me from replacing the motor/regulator. Thanks guys!

·
Sitting on the wrong side
276 Posts
I had this problem happen to me 3 times, once on my 98 and twice on my 99. I found that a buildup of carbon and other junk in my switches caused my problems and that if I cleaned them out they worked for awhile.

Also if your window gets jammed down I found the easy way to get them back up is to just short the wires that run the motor to 12v and let the window move up on it's own.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine and the one I picked from the bone yard both have the same pins that are slightly green (corroded). I thought that odd. I did try to pull the entire switch apart and solder it as someone else suggested. I really didn't know what I was supposed to solder because nothing looked broken.

If you short out the motor, won't that ruin it?

·
Sitting on the wrong side
276 Posts
The motor should be fine. All you are doing is connecting a DC motor to ground and +12 from the battery bypassing the window switches. Plug it in 1 way and the windows goes down and the other way will make it go back up.

Electronicly it is a basic job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh yeah....duh. Why didn't I think of that?

I'm just glad I don't have to replace the motor....done that a few times and hated every one.

·
Registered
832 Posts
My switch was acting funny also, this is a notorious problem with the Altimas.
I bought some electronic part cleaning solvent from Radio Shack took my master switch out then took it apart and cleaned it with this solvent and then let it dry put it back together and its worked perfect ever since. Since the Altima does not have a rain gutter/guard on top of the door, I noticed that rain can run off the roof of the car and it seems to land right in that switch causing it to malfunction . At least that is my theory and experience.

Glenn

·
Registered
16 Posts
^ ive noticed and heard the samething

i will have the check the soldering points out, didnt look to see if they were ok

altys need that rain gutter

·
///M Time!
3,872 Posts
My switch is starting act badly too.

I took it apart somewhat. Is there anyway to remove the rockers so I can clean whatever is in there?

I got all the plastic covers off the assembly but was unable to pull the circuit board out to get underneath the rockers.

·
Some assembly REQUIRED!
2,181 Posts
i have the same problem as well on my 99, its been going on for about a year now and i still dont know the cause(motor,regulator,switch)<all that sh!t is f**k'd in my opinion, the window goes down just fine, but when i comes to rollin it up, the sh!t works when it wants to(usually after 4 minutes of cussin' mixed in wit prayin'), but i hope someone finds a solution to the altima driver's side window plague

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
The original thread is old but the problems are "new". Guess I'll respond...

You guys don't have to disassemble those switches completely apart. If the problem is not mechanical in nature then it is probably because there is carbon deposit buildup in between the switch contacts. The easiest way to rid of that is to pour isopropyl alcohol inside the switch, shake it, and move the rocker switch back and forth. Repeat that process as necessary. If you have a ohmmeter you would be able to tell if the switch is bad...and when it freed up the carbon deposits. Good luck.

·
rev it up!
117 Posts
Yea,
Hooking up the motor with another wire to the power source is "Bypassing the switch", not "Shorting" the circuit. Many people use that term incorrectly. A short circuit is when the positive side contacts the negative side of the power source without flowing through a load, ie. in this case, the motor. When that happens the conductor become the load with very little resistance. It will drain the power source very rapidly and usually burning up the most resistant part of the current path. Hopefully the fuse, but to often wiring and /or component circuits get fried and in the worst cases a fire is started!

"Short circuit", not a good thing.

Scary thing when you accidentally "Short circuit" your freshly recharged car battery by placing a large adjustable wrench across the terminals. Did that once while working on my car and not looking before setting the wrench down. Sure got my attention when I saw the sparks followed by a strange "hummmmmmm" sound. The scare really came when I tried to remove it and realized the arc had "spot welled" the wrench across the terminals and it was getting really warm really fast. EEEKKK! It was all I could do to knock it off the battery. Good thing the spot weld was to the soft metal posts. My fear was, it could have made the battery melt down and possibly explode if it was left like that for much longer. NOW THAT'S A SHORT CIRCUIT!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts