The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2013 ALTIMA ALTERNATOR WITH DECOUPLER PULLY PRE-INSTALLATION TEST / VERIFICATION

Questions concerning the newer alternator with decoupler pulley number 23100 3TA1B (Which replaced number 23100 3TA1A which was installed on some early production 2013 Altima's).

BEFORE INSTALLATION

1. Does the decoupler alternator pulley easily spin by hand in either direction (clockwise-counterclockwise)?

2. When test spinning by hand is there any noticeable difference when spinning in different directions?

3. When test spinning by hand does the pulley engage the alternator internals's in both or just one direction?

I just recently bought AND installed a new alternator labeled 23100 3TA1B on E-Bay. It looks exactly as it should when comparing photos and matched with my original alternator The new one has all the correct markings (B) etc. - the pulley outside length is slightly different from the original as it should be, and it has the black end cap.

Before installation I only checked that the pulley seemed to spin easily by hand. After installation I was curious and Goggle searched info concerning decoupler type pulley operation. (Just how does it work.) Some web sites indicated that the decoupler type of pulley should only easily spin by hand in one direction - and the amount of hand force could vary. HOWEVER At least one web site indicated that some model cars decoupler pulleys would spin by hand the same as a '"solid" type.

Sooooooooo ------
If anyone has access to a uninstalled 23100 3TA1B alternator -- would they please check out and post what it does / does not do when spinning the pulley by hand. --- Hint to any NISSAN mechanic --- It would be really nice to check one directly off the shelf from NISSAN.
:smile
Thank you

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have another idea, one that you can do at no cost. Call your local Nissan dealer, ask the parts person if they have that model alternator in stock. If they do, visit the dealer so you can check for your self how it operates.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have another idea, one that you can do at no cost. Call your local Nissan dealer, ask the parts person if they have that model alternator in stock. If they do, visit the dealer so you can check for your self how it operates.
Throckmorton -- Thanks for your idea / suggestion.

I did think of that -- I may do it when I get a chance.

As I posted, after searching via Google I could not determine just how a uninstalled Nissan decoupler SHOULD spin. I wondered if it was possible that some of the decoupler type (B) alternators available could be incorrectly manufactured. IF so I thought it would be something that everyone should be made aware of -- and check for.

I just cant help myself -- I don't have the "What Me Worry" attitude -- I have the opposite.
:|

1 - 3 of 3 Posts