The Nissan Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 2007 Altima 3.5 SE, but I want to know if this car requires premium gas. The dealer swears up and down that premium is recommended, but he runs 87 octane in all of the cars on the lot, and they do fine without premium. However, Fuel Economy shows the 3.5 SE as running premium, but the 2.5 S as regular. What octane gas to you guys run in your cars?

·
Registered
299 Posts
87-91 for the 3.5 (Take it easy with less than 91 and you'll be fine!)
87 for the 2.5 (Waste of cash otherwise.)

·
MiniTrucker
327 Posts
I'm not fimular with either of thee engines, however generally speaking you want to run the lowest octane you can without going below the recommend rating.

In other words, if it requires 91 octane I wouldn't suggest running 87, and you are wasting your money running 93.

Fuel is stored energy. To make it more stable (incressed octane rating) they introduce additives, which slightly dilute the fuel. This is why on newer cars many people experience lower fuel ecconomy with higher octane. On the flip side, a older car with high milage may get better fuel ecconomy from higher octane due to a few things. Generally it's carbon deposits that raise the combustion chamber's tempature and cause ping/denotation, which in turns cause the car to adjust timing accordingly. On older cars with carbon deposits it may help running a slightly higher octane fuel to prevent engine denotation resulting in better ecconomy.

Hahah, not sure if I answered your question, maybe in a long drawn out round about way. lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.