The Nissan Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SoLow MoToRsPoRtZ
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you guys that own a 3.5, I know it is recommended to use premium gas. How many of you guys still use regular unleaded gas instead of the recommended premium? What are some of the conceqeunces for using the regular instead of premium?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
What are some of the conceqeunces for using the regular instead of premium?
Detonation in your cylinders which can cause a piston to blow...Not good. If you didn't want to use premium, you should have gotten the 2.5 or a different car...

Think about it though, is your engine worth the extra $3.00-4.50 to fill up a full tank? Me thinks so...

·
SHIFT_2.5S
26 Posts
If premium is recommended, use premium. Do not try to save a couple bucks at your car's expense. You will regret it later.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey just so you guys know there are a lot of threads about gas and they all seem to have most of the people going "not another premium gas thread"! I've read through the various threads and the only downfall I've read so far about regular is that there is some sort of "clunking" sound when the engine switches octanes.

Ok, I've ordered a 3.5 SE too and I'm wondering about the premium thing. I actually downloaded the manual and this is what it says...

For 3.5L
NISSAN recommends the use of premium unleaded
gasoline with an octane rating of at least
91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research
octane number 96). If unleaded premium gasoline
is not available, you may use unleaded regular
gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI
number (Research octane number 91), but you
may notice a decrease in performance.

I drive a 2004 Toyota 4runner right now and they recomended premium but like the Altima it is not required, and for 4 years I've been using 87 with no problems. In light of current gas prices what SPECIFICALLY will happen to my engine if I do not use premium gas?

Now I'm not being cheap and after spending the extra money for the 3.5 if I feel premium is required I will use it. I'm just looking for a legitimate reason that I should not use 87 Octane when other than a "decrease in performance" the manual does not say that there are any issues.

·
SmoKed
237 Posts
damn i have an 06 2.5 and all ive used was premium sometimes super, regular does get in my tank from time time to when my dad drives it lol then again a whole tank of free gas aint so bad either lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
why not use regular 87 octane with a bottle of that octane booster by STP or others,all were trying to do is prevent knocking in the engine and SOME of these boosters have the same additives used in the actual premium pump gas.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
why not use regular 87 octane with a bottle of that octane booster by STP or others,all were trying to do is prevent knocking in the engine and SOME of these boosters have the same additives used in the actual premium pump gas.
Octane boosters in general are a waste of money. Read the fine print. An increase of "4 points" means that 87 octane will be increased to 87.4, NOT to 91. Premium pump gas has a different formulation from regular- the hydrocarbons are not the same. (maybe more iso-octane, maybe more toluene)
If you run the 3.5 on regular, it won't hurt it. The ECU has seperate maps for regular and premium, and the engine will detect the regular gas, and back off on timing. Performance will suffer slightly, but it won't hurt the engine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I knew well in advance of purchasing my vehicle that it required premium fuel and was prepared to pay for it. People that complain about "pinging" or "the engine makes a wierd noise" should follow the manufactures recommendation and use the proper octane fuel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ormand is exactly right. The only negative effect of using regular instead of premium with the 3.5 is a slight decrease in performance and perhaps a very slight drop in fuel efficiency. Those suggesting engine damage are talking out of their _____. Further, those using premium fuel in a vehicle requiring only regular must enjoy pissing their money away. It's a little disconcerting seeing members getting cracked on for attempting to save a little money with the ever increasing fuel costs. I generally use premium but have used regular from time to time without concern.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Premium is $2.87 a gallon where I fill up and I've been giving it nothing but premium so far. I like my gas mileage.

·
Troll Sniffer
1,249 Posts
:lock:

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
damn i have an 06 2.5 and all ive used was premium sometimes super, regular does get in my tank from time time to when my dad drives it lol then again a whole tank of free gas aint so bad either lol
do you support oil companies or something? Cause doing that is only giving them a few extra bucks since the 2.5 see's no benefit from mileage, performance, or anything else.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Premium is $2.87 a gallon where I fill up and I've been giving it nothing but premium so far. I like my gas mileage.
I completely agree, why lose performance and gas mileage and the "chance" of damaging the engine for a few bucks at the pump...When you bought your 3.5 you knew it took premium...if you didn't want to buy the good stuff to make it run like it should, you should have gotten the 2.5 like I said earlier...

The amount of mileage you lose by using 87 over 91/93 is probably even a wash so really what's the point of losing the performance the premium gives you?

·
SmoKed
237 Posts
do you support oil companies or something? Cause doing that is only giving them a few extra bucks since the 2.5 see's no benefit from mileage, performance, or anything else.
makes me sleep at night plus its only a couple cents more..DONT JUDGE ME MONKEY lol

·
Full of Wisdumb
135 Posts
here in chicago, premium is around 3.50 and regular is around 3.10

it's a 40 cent diff.
for 20 gallons, you end up paying $8 bucks more for a tank of premium.

are you really that poor? to fret over $8 every week and a half to two weeks? and thats in chicago. shoot in other parts like indiana, its waaay less.

and if you have a 2.5, dont use premium, it does absolutely NOTHING extra for your engine than if you used regular. forget what a few people tell you here and there. if you have a 2.5, dont waste your money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.