The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some searching I have located the car I intend to try to purchase.

Sticker is $23460.00
2.5S
ABS
Convenience Package
Bose
Sunroof and shield
Side Sills and Splash Guard
Micro Filter
Mirror/Compass
Floor Mats
Polished Pewter exterior

What should I Pay ?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Things to watch out for--double destination fee--the destination fee was included in the price the dealer quoted me and then it was also pre-printed on the purchase order. I got them to knock one off. Also excessive dealer prep fee. They tried to charge me $380 for car prep. No way, they knocked that one off easy. Go to www.carbuyingtips.com, it will help you out big time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My purchase price for my 3.5 SE auto with traction control, ABS, Air bag package, micro filter, and floor mats was $22,864. That was about $1900 off the sticker and $300 over invoice. I'm sure he'll get a better deal if he negociates with the dealer for the 2.5.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not sure about Kansas but I put in my NY zip code on www.carsdirect.com they show the exact model with options you looking at as follows:

Automatic:
Cars direct price = $22,301
Invoice = $22,351

Manual:
Cars direct price = $21,519
Invoice = $21,569

·
keep those tips up
252 Posts
What shoulu you pay

Don't forget to subtract out the dealer holdback as well. One place you can get the EXACT amount of this is by paying $12 to consumer reports (consumerreports.com) under the "new car buying service."

They will show you the "wholesale price" which is basically the invoice minus holdback. Then add the invoice cost of any options.

They recommend dealing by negotiating UP from this "wholesale price" instead of down from sticker. ("I know you paid 17,250 for this car.... lets start there...")

I whole-heatedly recommend it! The dealers practically dump a load when they see you bring this packet out and show them their actual costs....

CR then states that a profit of 3-4% over that is a reasonable amount of profit...

I used this to get a new minivan for the wife, for invoice minus holdback plus $250 profit...

Waiting until my pathfinder comes off lease in August to get an '02 3.5SE....

Hope this helps

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
6,186 Posts
Re: 2.5 vs 3.5

snolden said:
you do realize you can get a 3.5 for less than that? i will assume the engine is not that important to you. maybe not all those options but definitely a 3.5
That's probably it. The options are more important than the engine. That was definitely the case in my purchase. Fully loaded 2.5SL? or barebones 3.5. My choice is obvious. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep the options are a bit more important to me than the 3.5SE Can't see putting out the cash for it, although I'd love to have it. The 2.5 will probably help keep me out of trouble too.:D

Thanks for the advice all. I'm going to run some numbers tonight. An internet manager said they would sell me any Altima I choose at $500 over invoice. So I'm going for $300 over.

I'll be sure to watch those add ons.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Good point for the 2.5. The 3.5 is a little too fast for it's own good. I always feel like I'm speeding. I love the car though, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Especially at highway speeds 60-100 is like nothing.

$300 over invoice should be fair, it all depends on your negociating skills. Some may be able to negociate lower. $300 over invoice is the deal I got, it was $1900 off the sticker and I was real happy. One key, before you sign anything make sure you look at every charge on the purchase order and know exactly what it is. Question every charge and if you think it's excessive refuse to pay it. Always be prepared to walk out of the dealer. You'll see how fast they change their minds. Like I said, I questioned the dealer prep of $380, and a double destination fee of about $540. So on top of the $1900 I got off the sticker I also avoided another $920 in un-needed charges. Remember your the customer. Good luck to you!!

·
I'll Drive
263 Posts
Like everyone is saying. Do some research. www.carbuyingtips.com is an excellent site that tells you how to go about pricing a car and how to then negotiate that at a dealer. Also, it depends where you live. I've checked the boards and there's no way I could have gotten my deal in So Cal by the looks of some other posts.

My Deal:
3.5 SE 5 Speed.
Cloth
spoiler
Airbags & ABS
Bose
Spoiler
Side sills & guards
Sunroof

I have paperwork that is signed with this price on it, I will believe 100% that I will get this price after I leave the dealers, we'll see, I need to get someone to look at the paperwork to insure it's binding.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay Edmunds MSRP 24310.00 Invoice 22051.00
Cars Direct MSRP 24310.00 Invoice 22051.00

Dealer MSRP 23460.00

Wondering what the difference in sticker is.

·
I'll Drive
263 Posts
simplymarvelous said:
Okay Edmunds MSRP 24310.00 Invoice 22051.00
Cars Direct MSRP 24310.00 Invoice 22051.00

Dealer MSRP 23460.00

Wondering what the difference in sticker is.
What do you mean what the diff in sticker is? Between MSRP and invoice? That's how much they would like to rip you off by ;)

Also, understand that the cost to the dealer is Invoice minus holdback, which is 2% MSRP + 1% Invoice, for Nissan according to Edmunds. Figure that out, and then offer them 5% over that, according to www.carbuyingtips.com, though some people offer 3.5%.

Now get out there and Haggle!! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got it !

I missed out on the Altima I posted in regard to. Actually scaled down a bit. Heres what I got.

Pewter 2.5S
ABS
Convienence Package
mats
splash guards
microfilter

MSRP was $22,104.00
Invoice $20,200.00 With Edmunds
Trade in $1,100.00 Merc Sable with 112K miles
Difference $19,100.00

My trade was rough and had some issues so I think I did pretty well to get around a $1,100 out of it and around invoice for the Altima. Never know how to read these trade-ins but it seems okay.

Anyway I love the ride. Its fun to drive and the 2.5 is pretty spunky for a 4. Thanks for all the input. Time to look into some aftermarket items. The local dealers are sure playing with the interiors on the Altimas. I saw alot of dash kits, dressed up doors, custom leather and chromed wheels.

·
PIMP JUICE THATS MY DRINK
407 Posts
I PAID 22,500 FOR MY 3.5SE STICK AFTER TAXES AND INTEREST IT WAS CLOSE TO LIKE 25,000

INVESTIGATE LOOK AROUND FIRST!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

IMRAN

·
No, I am not a newb
622 Posts
Hey marvelous, where in kansas did you buy your Alty???

I am curcious which dealership you went to, how they treated you??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wolfie

I picked up the Altima at Mcarthy in Olathe. Typical car dealers, they will take what your willing to give. Your swimming in shark infested water whenever your dealing with any of them. But knowing that they were pretty good to deal with thus far.

I scoped out the car the night before and walked in and told them up front what I was willing to pay and basically got that deal minus 100 less on my trade in than i originally wanted. Took quite a bit of talking and actually made the deal after leaving and returning twice. All for 100 bucks. They claimed their invoice was higher than edmunds. The only way you ever get your best deal is when they let you walk away. The old bluff n walk, if they stop you, you win.

If you want more info or details let me know.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.