The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are primeras rhd? and would the SR20VE from a primera bolt on directly to a late model g20?

·
Tofu Shop Owner
888 Posts
Ry said:
are primeras rhd? and would the SR20VE from a primera bolt on directly to a late model g20?
Right now, they haven't put the SR20VE into any cars yet... I don't even think the Japanese market Primeras (G20) have them yet... but more-than-likely the next generation Primera/G20 will have the VE. The SR20VE's only application right now is in a rear-drive small SUV in the Japanese market... but I don't see why it wouldn't work... All the SR-series engines are compatible in terms of engine mounting points and general physical dimensions. The only thing you'd probably have to do is get a different exhaust manifold (header), because it's mounted longitudinally in that mini-SUV where it would have to be mounted laterally in a G20/Altima. You might even be able to salvage the original G20/Primera front-drive transmission, if the ECU for the SR20VE recognizes the transmission ECU.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Primera/G20/SR20VE question...

PT said:

Right now, they haven't put the SR20VE into any cars yet... I don't even think the Japanese market Primeras (G20) have them yet... but more-than-likely the next generation Primera/G20 will have the VE. The SR20VE's only application right now is in a rear-drive small SUV in the Japanese market... but I don't see why it wouldn't work... All the SR-series engines are compatible in terms of engine mounting points and general physical dimensions. The only thing you'd probably have to do is get a different exhaust manifold (header), because it's mounted longitudinally in that mini-SUV where it would have to be mounted laterally in a G20/Altima. You might even be able to salvage the original G20/Primera front-drive transmission, if the ECU for the SR20VE recognizes the transmission ECU.

are you sure about that, peter?

The Evil Egg: Sport Compact Car/April 2001, page 98
Meanwhile, Nissan introduced the SR20VE in it's Japan market only, P11 Primera.

·
Tofu Shop Owner
888 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Primera/G20/SR20VE question...

Ry said:

are you sure about that, peter?

Yeah, I'm sure. The guys at Sport Compact are slightly mistaken (as they very often are). If you know what to look for, the guys at SCC sometimes BS just to take up space, or make the car sound cooler than it really is. But I still read them 'cause 80% of the time, they're OK. :D

Anyways, If you go to the Japanese nissan page,

http://www.nissan.co.jp/PRIMERA/P12/0106/index.html

and click on the 8th menu-option below "Primera" on the left.
Click on the tabs with the 25X, 20C/20C4, 20L/20L4, you will see that the Japanese Market Primeras are using the QR series (supposed to replace the SR Series in street applications). The top-line QR25DD engine is a close cousin to the QR25DE that is in the base 2002 Altima. To make more power, the QR-series uses direct injection, and is designed to be more of a luxury engine, which sacrifices peak output for power-smoothness and fuel economy. The QR series is also designed to work with CVT's. Continuuously Variable Transmissions. These transmissions don't have "gears" like conventional transmissions and instead work on a system of pullies to continuously optimize engine output, speed, and fuel-economy. Sorry guys, no manual CVTs... there's no such thing. :D

The SR-series is allowed to make some NVH (Noise, Vibration, & Harshness) concessions in the interests of high performance, which is why there is no SR20DD with direct injection. Direct injection makes it harder to turbo. Although as the Direct Injection technology develops, the QR line may completely replace the SR line.

The Engine names follow normal Nissan Engine naming schemes:
  • First two letters are the engine name
  • middle two numbers are the engine displacement in deciliters
  • last two are engine types

The QR20DD is a direct-injection engine, which means that fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Re: Re: Primera/G20/SR20VE question...

PT said:

Yeah, I'm sure. The guys at Sport Compact are slightly mistaken (as they very often are). If you know what to look for, the guys at SCC sometimes BS just to take up space, or make the car sound cooler than it really is. But I still read them 'cause 80% of the time, they're OK. :D

hmm.. they made no mention of converting RWD to FWD.

FreshAlloy.com has the SR16VE listed for the Pulsar hatch and an SR20VE listed but no model next to it. They do have the SR20VET listed (278 HP whoa...).

i'm looking at the Super Model Matrix on FreshAlloy.com and they've got the SR20VE listed for two models of the Primera..

P11 HP11 Primera 2.0Te-V SR20VE FF 9/97-9/99
P11 WHP11 VVL Primera Wagon 2.0Te-V SR20VE FF 9/97-

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
engine codes...

PT said:
The Engine names follow normal Nissan Engine naming schemes:
  • First two letters are the engine name
  • middle two numbers are the engine displacement in deciliters
  • last two are engine types

The QR20DD is a direct-injection engine, which means that fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber.
to add to that, the first D means DOHC and the second D means direct-injection. if it were a SOHC engine, it would be QR20D.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts