The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this has been a recent problem with the car. It's been having a hard time starting up for one? I already replaced the distributor cap, and rotor, plugs, and wired. Sometimes while I'm driving around, when I start to slow down, and then start to go again, then check engine light will pop up, and the car will not go over 2000 RPM's. The car is a 1993 Altima with 106,000 miles. Also the car has run kinda sluggish around when I start to take off. If I just slam on the gas peddle it tries to die off, and then just jumps alive, and takes off. :confused: :confused:

·
I cant get no sleep!
140 Posts
make sure you check that all the cylinders are working properly because i had a similar problem and it was one of my cylinders was not working all the time... check all spark plugs make sure the fuel is flowing good and you might want to also check the timing.

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, I'll check in to all those options. So I guess just check to make sure I'm getting compression into all four cylinders, and then check the plugs, and wires to make sure all is tight. Would moisture down into where the spark plugs do this. I couldn't see how moisture could get down in there, but maybe i could run something down where they go and see if that helps?

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to one of the guys who works at the dealership. He said possibly it could be the engine coolant temperature sensor.

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
about the coolant sensor, check the owner manual on bleeding the coolant. If you got to bleed coolant out of the intake as well, and you didn't, it's possible to have hot air pockets popping around the temp. sensor, thus screwing up its reading to the ECM.
And that'll affect drivability as well.

Otherwise try replacing all the vacuum hoses (they're not that expensive, buy by the feet and replace one by one). It's about time anyway, if you still got the original 10yrs old hoses. They'll go brittle and then cracks.

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I recently replaced all the upper vacuum hoses that I could reach. I guess I should continue on and do every-single one under the hood.

I'll look into draining out the coolant and replacing it all, and see if that doesnt help

·
Registered
24 Posts
hey dude i dunno if ur car is 5 spd or not, but if it isnt u might wanna check the tranny and or torque converter. i have a 93' gle auto and it used to do that all the time. some times i would hold it floored for like 10 seconds and it would accelerate really slow as if there was a dead elephant on top of the car. but it wouldnt rev higher than 2k. i got my whole tranny replaced like 3 weeks ago. it runs awesome now. so u might check that out too, cause it sounds exactly what mine used to do. good luck! hope it works out. 93 Gle auto

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it's not like it stays in that dead zone of not accelerating. It's like lurching forward at times, like the fuel is being dumped in and then cutting out, and then redoes that same thing. It's really wierd.

·
Evil Member
1,906 Posts
jessa said:
Could be an air leak somewhere (your filter) or your fuel pump

I agree, sounds like an intake problem

as for the lurching at take off, you said you take off and it feels sluggish so you hit and it jumps, that's b/c you are at a low speed and most likely your tranny had already changed from first to second gear, and when you hit it harder it jumps back in first, my car does that too, not a big problem, just an annoying one

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Sounds like it is going into limp home mode , you say the check engine light is coming on ...well what code(s) are coming up ..??

·
2003.5 g35 :)
417 Posts
MAY BE your timing.. it might be off ALOT! get it checked ASAP.. the longer you wait.. the more proublems will occur!

·
Wait... How big?
130 Posts
Hey, that sounds quite a bit like my problem. Allow me to elaborate ;)

Say I come to a stop sign, and I'm rolling... Obviously I'm not going to get back into first, I'm too cool for that :p So I coast down to the lowest speed that I know I can get back into 2nd with, and I look, clutch, shift to 2nd, gas, and go. Sometimes it'll take right off, sometimes it'll hold back, like there's somebody in front of me pushing against me. RPM's increase slowly, gradually, just as the speed increases slowly, gradually. It'll go like that for a few seconds, then it'll me me cruise, then sometimes it'll act up again at a higher RPM.

:p

pic0

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will look into the timing. I have to go pay 60 bucks to get codes run on the ECU because the 1993 doesn't have a link up to run them at autozone or anything, so I have to take it to my mechanic and get it checked.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts