The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Haf you seen my baseball?
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I posted before about my problem with my amp not getting any power. But then I posted later that I had a red light on the amp but the red light was only on when the car was off then when I turned the car on the red light went away and the amp turned off and didn't work. Well I just got back from vacation and was messing around with it a little bit and I "figured" something out. I unhooked the remote (on/off) wire going to my amp from the blue power cable coming out of the back of the headunit and reattached it to the antenna power wire that it was originally attached to. And the antenna went up. But the car was off. So I'm getting really confused at this point. So I turn the car on, and the antenna goes down like i had just turned the head unit/car off when everything is on. I think this is why the amp isn't working. But I don't know how the power wire got reversed and gives power when the car is off and then doesn't when the car is on. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Illest in Nebraska
3,097 Posts
yea that would happen if the wire was connected to a wire that has consant power, that would have to be coming from the battery. the wires on the amp should be

12v power rem ground

what do you have each connected to ?

·
Po-rican
403 Posts
Here's a litle help from a experienced do-it-yourselfer.

-Blue "remote" wire should go to amp.
-Rca's from radio to amp
-power to amp straight from battery fused as close to battery as possible.
-good ground from amp as close to amp as possible (scratch/sand where attaching)

Check ground and power wires to/from amp with test light.

My opinion: sounds like bad grounds some where, or crossed wires. Check especially behind radio.

Does your radio turn on and play sound out factory speakers?

·
Haf you seen my baseball?
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My CD player works perfectly except i get no radio reception whatsoever because everytime i turn my head unit on the antenna goes down.

·
Po-rican
403 Posts
Sounds like antenna is connected to the wrong wire or wires are crossed some how. From the back of the radio with the radio off check the wire to the antenna with a test light. This should be the blue "remote" wire and it should have no power. Make sure you have it connected strait off the blue wire (assuming aftermarket radio) not thru the wirring harness. Then turn the radio on it should then have power. and the antenna should then go up. If this is not the case then you need to check the power and ground to/from your head unit. From the more I hear from you it sound like you might have your antenna connected to a constant power feed or something of that nature. If you don't know which is the remote wire just find the wire that exits the radio having no power when radio off and power when on. You should be able to conect power antena and amp remote wire to the same "remote" wire off head unit. Use a male femaleconnectioon and crimp well. If antenna is only screwy when amp remote is connected then wires on amp are crossed somewhere. Follow as above with test light.

Wrote too much already, if you cant figure it out get back at me and/or go to experienced person/place near to your house and fork out some money.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The other possibility you migh consider is that the on some head units two wire are available for remote ON.

For example on my Sony WCX-570 (Double DIN). The blue wire on the head unit is labeled ANTENNA REMOTE and the blue/white strip wire is labelled AMP REMOTE. Also, the wiring diagram indicates the max load from AMP REMOTE as 0.3 A and for ANTENNA REMOTE AS 0.1 A.

So get your wiring diagram and read it carefully. No diagram for the head unit?

BE CAREFULL DON'T SHORT ANYTHING!

(1) Borrow a multimeter
(2) Pull out the head unit.
(3) Start with the blue wires of unknown function (and unconnected)
(4) With the headunit off, measure the voltage from the blue wires should be zero (relative to ground)
(5) With the headunit on, measure the voltage from the blue wires should be 12V or slightly higher.
(6) While still measuring voltage turn of the head unit, if voltage drops to zero then you have found the remote wires.

Other spare wires on your head unit could include:

TEL MUTE - input wire from the cell phone cradel to automatically mute volume

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts