The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Robert303
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am a new member & posting for the first time.
I will try to make a long story short:
A few months ago I bought a used 2000 Nissan Altima, shortly thereafter I noticed when I turned the AC on my car would die. I had a mechanic replace my Idle control valve. After this repair it started dying a lot more often, wether I had the AC on or not.. So at this point I took the car to Nissan dealership here locally for a $100 diagnosis. After two days I asked them what was the problem & they stated that when the tried to look at the problem he plugged something into the ECM & it started smoking like it was burning. I could go further here but won't for the sake of what I want to ask.
So Nissan offered to fix my car if I bought the part (ECM), so I bought a 2000 ECM off of EBay. Nissan stated that the part wasn't right as it looked different.
They suggested that I look at my registration, I did & the reg says late model 99. At this point I took not one but two 99 ECM to Nissan & the stated that the key couldn't read the ECM. Now they are suggesting that I get A 2000 ECM again. Here's my question how do you know how to reference the part numbers on a used ECM? My ECM had a WG on it & I have bought an Hh,Hk,Wt. any ideas? Thank you for reading my post..

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
You mean like this one?

So that tells me the Nissan WG unit has part number JA18P 67ZA3, Other ID 5ZE1WG and Interchange

·
Robert303
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your Exactly Right!

DOUGMAC1, how did you know that? More importantly why can't Nissan service direct me on how to order a used part with the right numbers? I met with the service manager & a mechanic & they have no idea what any of these numbers mean, & neither do I. They can tell me what the part number I need if I buy a new one, but can't afford a new one being on Social Security. Can you help me understand how to order a used part & what numbers I need to focus on to get the right part?

·
6,365 Posts
Why not just buy the one I linked to above? (ebay $125 + ship)

Search on the part string I gave you: JA18P 67ZA3. This should be verifiable by the dealer parts counter by looking up the ECU based on your VIN (off your registration paper/pink slip/whatever). Many Nissan ECU's were made by Hitachi, especially likely for the ones with the large 2-letter codes. I believe the WG specifies the software load in the ECU which is slightly different depending on what options you have (like auto/standard transmission).

FWIW the part number shouldn't change just because it's 'new'. What part number did they tell you that you needed?

·
Robert303
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heye D0ugmac1, I am still curios as to how you know the parts numbers? Secondly, what do any of those numbers mean? Example WG, *5ZE1WG*, or JA18P67 ZA3 9203? Not one person, either in service, or mechanic had a clue as what any of those meant. My car has been @ Nissan for repair for 10 weeks..

·
6,365 Posts
No magic, I used Google images. I found a hit for a used ECU for an '00 Altima which referenced the WG code which you stated was on your original ECU--which is the key differentiator amongst sub-variants in Nissans, at least based on a similar investigation I did for M-Train in his 300HP NA ('05 S-ER) thread--hence the large bold CAPS.

The image I found, turned out to be that part you bought...and from the images provided by the vendor, was able to read off the other codes. Most Nissan part numbers are a pair of 5 character alpha-numerics ie A1A1A-1A1A1 to which the JA18P-67ZA3 maps. I found other older model (mid-late 90's) Altima's which had ECU's starting with prefix JA18 at which point I was confident that I had found the correct one. Searching on that yielded several more parts that also correlated to an '00 Altima. I suspect the 5ZE1-WG is the mfr pn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts