The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, heres the deal, i have an automatic 1994 Nissan Altima GXE with 238,197 miles, it is in perfect condition on the inside, the outside could look a lot better, but it still looks wonderful

my mom had a wreck in the car which pushed out the back bumper on both sides and when i turn my system up it rattles really bad, speaking of systems, i have a Pioneer 4700 cd player, pioneer door and rear deck speakers, a rockford fosgate power 250.2 amplifier, which is powering 2 fosgate dvc 10's in a mac box, my trunk is fully dynamatted

i have tinted windows all around, with each being 35%, and the back glass being 20%

i have a k&n air filter and a GReddy exhaust, i need new shocks and a pcv valve

my car is very reliable and i like it very much, but the mileage is a very concerning issue, i realize that if i sold my car without the stuff i have in it now, i would probly have to pay somebody to take the car, but if i left all the stuff in it, what do you think a decent asking price would be for my car?

today i saw a very clean white altima for 3500, i didnt look at it or nothin but just seen that it was clean and the price, i would very much like to have a newer first gen altima, preferably manual because i think the altima has very good potential to be a wonderful car, however, there are several other cars out there with just as much potential and more

so heres what im askin, should i:

a: buy a new altima, sell my old one stock and transfer all the parts and system

b: same thing as above but leave everything on old altima to get more money for it

c: sell my altima, get a different car

d: swap new engine into my car, get bodywork done, get manual transmission, continue modifying

either one i do im gonna have to save some more money, my current savings fund is 2200, please give me some opinions on this, criticism or anything is welcome, just give me some ideas

·
22,052 Posts
With all those miles and rear damage, you'd be llucky to get $1000 for the car.

If you like it, I'd buy a used engine and swap it, or just drive the car until it dies.

I would say it's not worth modifiying the current car. If you canafford it, buy another Altima and work on that one. After 230,000 miles, I'd guess the car is getting tired.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It all depends on what's best for you. It also depends on how much time and $$$$$$$$$$.$$ you have. I would do the math first. See what option works best. Maybe you can sell yours due to your high miles, and buy a used 2nd gen or something along those lines. Whatever you do,,,,,, good luck! :bigok:

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im at school now, im gonna go look at the altima on my way home, when i get there ill post stuff about it; mileage, trans, body, interior, options, etc. etc.

i really would like to continue pursuing the ultimate altima, ive got 4 years of college ahead of me, i can get different car when i get out and then garage the altima and fix it up really good if i havent finished already, please, keep the opinions coming

·
I make people say WHA!?
298 Posts
If you can afford it... I would buy a new altima and swap all the performance parts back to stock, and then sell the car...

You can also swap the engine if your really that attached to your car. If you want a manual, your looking at about a $1600 swap.

Personally, I like automatic cause with all the bolt ons and VB / TC mod, I hear you are faster then a manual or damn well near it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just drive the car until it dies.. even if you do an engine swap other things are bound to go wrong in a car that has been driven so many miles.. if you decide to sell just take your stuff out because you aren't going to get that much out of it if you sell it with your car and it will take a whole lot more to replace new.

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
Is there going to be any insurance money to get the car fixed? If so, fix the rear and keep the car until it dies. I mean if you don't really have the $$$ right now for a new car and this one can get you around, then stick with it until you save some more money up.

Also, miles don't necessarily mean anything if the car was well maintaned. A friend of mine has a Maxima with 490,000 miles on it. Make sure to change your oil as recommended and not dog your engine and you should be okay.

The maxima with 490,000 of course has had things like water pumps, A/C, alternator, timing belt, etc. replaced but I just drove in it a month ago and it still runs great.

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so, should i buy the new altima and garage it and fix it up and keep my car for a driver back and forth to college? (30 mi. each way)

or should i just keep my car and be satisfied and deal w/ problems that arise

·
Registered
107 Posts
if you did sell it, that kinda mileage won't get you over 1K unfortunately. I'd drive the car till the wheels literally fell off and save your coins in the meantime to fix up a nice 96 or 97 alty. you're kinda in a bad situation right now. I'd wait till she made you give her up, like a blown engine or tranny. selling it outright is just simply not a good option as you will not get enough for it. replacing the engine and tranny in a 94 alty with body damage isn't really a good idea either because you'll never get the value out of it... for example, after you put all that time and work into your 94 alty you could have had enough money to buy a nice clean, much lower mileage 95/96, even 97 if you're lucky. altimas are awesome.... don't change, your mileage is the exact reason you should stay with an altima. just my .02

·
'96 Max SE loaded
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very good point, im thinkin about just fixin up my car like there is nothin wrong w/ it and when it finally does go out, buy a newer one and just swap the parts over to it, i want to sell my system too, that could buy headers, or maybe half the price of some rims, i dunno, ill figure somethin out, in the mean time, im just gonna keep my eyes out for a newer first gen altima, thanks guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts