The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer just received my 3.5 SE today (11/15). I ordered it on Oct. 5. I was told all along that my altima would be an October production for an expected delivery in November? Is there a way by which I can find out the actual production date? Would the VIN number give me any indication? Where do I need to look?

Bugsy

·
Be very afraid...
4,511 Posts
The sticker on the inside of the driver's door frame (or possibly on the inside of the console or glove box lid) should show the production date, at least month/year.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Look at the label on the driver's door jam....the production date is clearly marked. For example....I got my 02' SE on 09/08/01, and the production date on my label is 08/01.

Kevin

G

·
I called up customer service and the rep was able to tell me the date from the vin number. According to him, mine was the 190th born on the first day of regular (not shakedown) production.

·
*Honorary Member* the dream!!!
84 Posts
congrads on your new altima!!!

G

·
According to Nissan, mine was built on August 13, 2001 (a monday) and it is the 1190 built. From what I understand, they had a big party the day they started up the production line, a week earlier on august 6, 2001. A long time ago, one of the guys I worked with who worked on a car assembly line said that they "officially" start production and the first cars are the ones that they use to do final training with the production crew. They also start the line up slow (he commented that it was like that movie about laid off workers opening a new car line back in the 80's) to work out any of the manufacturing bugs and that usually is scheduled for a week. Sometimes they have equipment that doesn't always place a part or subassembly correctly or there are some logistical problems such as installing the wrong ordered equipment.

If you figure they are and not in production on weekends, they are putting out about 265 cars a day. I recall reading someplace that the weak link in production is their ability to paint. They used to have one paint line but added a new paint line this past summer. I am sure they are going to increase production because in order to meet their goal of 190,000 units this year, they would have to produce about 700 cars a day. I believe they have the capacity to make 250,000 cars a year with their recent expansion of the facility in Tenn.

I am having a problem with accuracy in the speedo, take a look at my posting under that title and let me know how yours does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts