The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard bad stories from everyone, about how much times they had to replace the axle seal before it stopped leaking, is there a sure shot way to do this? are you supposed to lube the seal? maybe some spray silicon or something? I dont wanna have to do it again.

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
Are you saying that after you replace the axle, you "MUST" replace the seal? I was told it was optional. I think that you are not supposed to push it in all the way, or else it is gone. I would like to hear more about this too.

·
Altimaboy
1,726 Posts
I think that manual transmission cars leak more than automatic trannys. You just have to have a oil pan waiting close by.

·
RacingLine Guy
5,846 Posts
when I replaced mine I put oil oround the seal then tapped it in gently with a rubber mallot, making sure it was level the entire time, and stopping when it was flush with the housing. So far no leaks. for the last 4 months

·
Registered
31 Posts
The FSM says to grease up the seal and states the importance of aligning the drive axle c-clip.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It says to grease the outside not the inside that contacts the tranny, I think they want you to grease the lip so that it doesnt crack or tear when you shove the axle in.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
if a replaced axel seal keeps leaking, it's not because of it being installed wrong. it's usually because of a worn axel bearing.

had my drivers side axel seal fixed. leaked again in a day. was going to only replace the one bearing but since it was going to be open, had them all replaced with new seals.

I actually drove for 2 months with a slight leak. it looks like a lot more oil is leaking than it actually is. tranny oil spreads out across the ground, so one or two drops looks like an ounce or more.

according to my tranny guy, altimas are notorious for worn axels. he had 3 altimas(2 1st gens and my 2nd gen) within a month. he knows the tranny so well, he can drop it and rebuild it in no time. worn bearings are usually due to pot holes. sucks.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
240_alty said:
^^^^Thanks for the info Coach.......was getting axel bearing expensive to replace?

for me, it was. I had the axel seal done at Nissan cause I just wanted it done right and I trust my dealership. They obviously didn't know for sure if it was the bearing but I figured I'd hope it was just the seal.

after it started to leak again, I called my mechanic and he referred me to his tranny guy. we did the test drive and nothing really seemed to be wrong. gears shifted fine. no noise. so we booked an appointment, in one morning and out the next morning before work. was just going to replace the bearing and seals when I get the call to stop by the shop. there was a problem. the ring and pinion gear was shreaded and the tranny had to be rebuilt. tranny still shifted fine due to pure luck.

anyway, long story short. go a new tranny so it wasn't cheap for me.

I do recommend that you have both seals and all bearings replaced at the same time though. might as well for a little more money which is all labor to take the tranny done.

·
Captain Obvious!
874 Posts
Well guys, sorry to bump this bish.
But after replacing the seals twice (by the dealer this time) and still having a leak, it is confirmed....the axel bearing is toast.
When i purchased the car, i got an extendend warranty that covers pretty much everything:sad: I'm bringing her in tomorrow to have them look at it....I REALLY hope this is covered under that 1200$ extended warranty.

I'm about to go on vacation with the wife and can't afford a tranny rebuild....wish me luck!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
if a replaced axel seal keeps leaking, it's not because of it being installed wrong. it's usually because of a worn axel bearing.

had my drivers side axel seal fixed. leaked again in a day. was going to only replace the one bearing but since it was going to be open, had them all replaced with new seals.

I actually drove for 2 months with a slight leak. it looks like a lot more oil is leaking than it actually is. tranny oil spreads out across the ground, so one or two drops looks like an ounce or more.

according to my tranny guy, altimas are notorious for worn axels. he had 3 altimas(2 1st gens and my 2nd gen) within a month. he knows the tranny so well, he can drop it and rebuild it in no time. worn bearings are usually due to pot holes. sucks.
sorry for very late reply, but i have the same problem in my 2010 Altima, i replaced the seal and it leaked after a while..can you tell me how did you replace that bearing? can you replace it without removing tranny and taking it apart?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
NO.

There is NO axle 'bearing' there and showing how unlearned people are on the subject. The only bearing that can fail to do that is a main differential carrier bearing which has trans come out to split open to change that part. No other way. Read post #13 and what happened to him and end result. Trans had to come out.

Changing axle seals there is an issue of competence, many butcher the job and then seal leaks. The common leak issue there is letting the axle weight rest on seal lip while installing it, the splines on axle end are often sharp enough to cut the lip just by weight and then seal is junk. You must take the time to insert the axle centered with it not touching the seal until the very last inch.

If axle has been changed and a used or rebuilt one, they commonly refinish the seal surface by dressing it down a bit and the axle OD then becomes smaller, small enough to often leak even with a good seal. Or your old axle has a groove at seal edge from wear and sand collecting there and then even new seal again leaks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts