The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'm The Yellow Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Protorque but they never replied and it has been about a week. Does anyone know the stall RPM's with protorque torque converter?

·
$ make my Engine go Round
1,157 Posts
They usually would put it in the 2000-2500 range. Although most of this can be changed if you want. Although any higher and it might not be a very resonable daily driver.

·
I'm The Yellow Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RyanDB2 said:
They usually would put it in the 2000-2500 range. Although most of this can be changed if you want. Although any higher and it might not be a very resonable daily driver.
I wouldn't go any higher than it would be. But just for the info, you would change it in the engine bay.. those two wires... right?

·
502 Posts
yeah i'm curious about that too, 'cause i thought the tc upgrade was supposed to increase the max rpm you can brake torque. can someone clarify its benefits?

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
Yes they are talking about when you brake torque, for those of you who don't know what what stall of your TC, (now I am not saying this is good for your tranny), put your foot firmly down on the brake pedal, and push the gas, the RPM that the engine stops climbing to is the stall on your TC. Now the stall speed of a pro torque TC is higher, hence the name a high stall TC. On the website it says 2700-3200 I believe. Now there is a range because as you add mods to your car you will increase the stall speed. Here are the numbers you are looking for:
Stock: 2500
Pro Torque TC: 2700
PT TC with exhaust: 2800
PT TC, E, and header: 3000
PT TC, E, H, WAI: 3100

With these mods (and a VB but it doesn't effect this) from a stop I can stomp on the gas and spin tires...and chirp first to second...if you have any other questions let me know...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
want to know how to ruin your new protorque torque convertor?

AltyDriver said:
put your foot firmly down on the brake pedal, and push the gas, the RPM that the engine stops climbing to is the stall on your TC.
(protorque.com)
What is stall speed and how do I determine what stall I have now?

Stall speed is a term used to describe the rpm at which the torque converter transfers the power from the engine to the transmission. There are different ways to test stall speed. "Foot brake stall" is when you press the brake pedal and then press the gas pedal. When the car doesn't go anymore or the tires start to spin that is "brake stall". (DO NOT TRY THIS! THIS MEASUREMENT IS MEANINGLESS AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS TO YOU AND THE TORQUE CONVERTER!) "Flash stall" is when you, from a dead stop, press the gas pedal to wide open throttle (wot). Watch your tach needle, you will see the needle jump to a certain rpm, that is "flash stall". A drag racing-style trans brake will give you closer to the true stall speed of a torque converter.

·
I'm The Yellow Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AltyDriver said:
Yes they are talking about when you brake torque, for those of you who don't know what what stall of your TC, (now I am not saying this is good for your tranny), put your foot firmly down on the brake pedal, and push the gas, the RPM that the engine stops climbing to is the stall on your TC. Now the stall speed of a pro torque TC is higher, hence the name a high stall TC. On the website it says 2700-3200 I believe. Now there is a range because as you add mods to your car you will increase the stall speed. Here are the numbers you are looking for:
Stock: 2500
Pro Torque TC: 2700
PT TC with exhaust: 2800
PT TC, E, and header: 3000
PT TC, E, H, WAI: 3100

With these mods (and a VB but it doesn't effect this) from a stop I can stomp on the gas and spin tires...and chirp first to second...if you have any other questions let me know...
How long have you have the TC for? And what kind of VB do you have?

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
I have had both since mid july, and my valve body is a B&M one, as far as I know I am the only one here on the board with that particular brand, they send the parts, and then the tranny shop does the acual rebuilding of it. With just the exhaust I only noticed a little difference in performance but once the header was on, I definitly notcied the stall speed jump, but the increase in torque as well...I think that this mod would be unbelievable with at turbo...

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
i heard the tranny is more responsive when punched while the car is moving as well. have you guys noticed that?

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
as far as I know there are only four (probally less). There is the B&M one that I have, there is one from maximun tuning (I don't know what they use, or it is their own parts), they have three stages to choose from, I would say that the B&M one is around their stage II, from what I have read. There is one from level ten, but why spend twice as much as you have too. And there is a place in texas that does it as well I believe. Check over on the maxima.org for that name of that place, but I have only heard good things about them.

·
I'm The Yellow Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm leaning towards the one from maximum tuning. I've heard a lot of people have it and no problems with it what so ever, especially with Protorque TC. I most likely will get the 2nd stage street/strip as well..

·
I'm The Yellow Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TC info from Protorque

"Thank you very much four inquiring into our company. We are currently working on a new catalog for 03.' We expect that they will be ready in the next 6-8 weeks. In the meantime if there is anything that you need please feel free to call me at 631.218.8700. You will find out however that most of the information is already up on our web site

Yes, we do torque converters for this application (Altimas 93-01). We just finished building a torque converter for a twin turbo 300ZX that is running in the 10's . This car has been featured in TURBO Magazine. As well as many turbo Supra's that are also in the 8's,9's, and10's. As well as a few Maximas and Altimas.

The torque converter that I recommend for this application is our PTCDA37SS. This torque converter is the perfect mix of performance and streetability and is recommended for a street/strip application. The stall speed on this torque converter is approx. 300-800 above stock. Our price on this torque converter is $395.00 +shipping. The reason we recommend this piece is because of it's good drivability, and durability."

[email protected]
Joe Rivera
PROTORQUE
1440 Church St.
Bohemia, NY

1 - 20 of 23 Posts