The Nissan Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kept smelling a moldy sent in my car and i thought it was due to my melting dash emitting a strange odor. I looked in the back seat to discover about 16 oz of water piled up in the floor of the drivers side I rarely have anyone in the back seat so it took a while to notice it. There are no signs of the door or floor gaskets failing. Any idea where the water's coming in from???

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Pull the rear seat cushion and have a look for water movement (ie coming from back forwards). If not that, then most likely hole in floor, (look from underneath) clogged AC drain, clogged sunroof drain or leaking windshield though those last 3 will result in some dampness in the front carpet at the time of ingress (ie rain). Most likely the water is just pooling in the back seat from a problem up front.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After tearing up most of the back seat and pulling down the headliner I realized it was leaking from the sunroom drain all the way down the side of the car and into the floor carpet. After further evaluation, the hose was clear yet the water was overflowing as seen in pictures. I tried even disconnecting the hose and the water still overflowed over the gutter system onto the headliner! Any diagrams of that assembly or any advice on how to clear out that piece?

·
6,365 Posts
Pipe cleaner? compressed air?...back through the nozzle the drain pipe connects to?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've cleaned my front sunroof drains as this is a pretty common occurrence on these cars to leak into the driver/passenger floorboards. Easiest way I've found to clean em out is to just use Cat5 ethernet cable. Just cut a piece about 10 feet long and feed in there until it unstops.

·
1JonnyZ
18 Posts
Just today I noticed water running down next to the rear shoulder belt on my '09 coupe. I popped the trim behind the back window and found the tubing was smashed behind the trim clip. I looked in the trunk on the driver's side and found the tubing running behind the back wheel well, felt down in there and found ANOTHER kink! No wonder the water wouldn't drain! I ran to the hardware store and bought about 4 feet of tubing and ran it and everything is good now. I ran the tubing from the speaker deck into the trunk and connected it in the wheel well, there is a drain the goes towards the outside of the car, it is visible with a flashlight. I then ran it up to the drain at the back of the sunroof channel. When you pull down the back of the headliner the drain is literally right there. I would have taken pictures but I was battling vertigo and just wanted to get the job done! You do NOT have to remove the entire headliner, lights, grab handles, or anything else. Just pop the trim behind the small window, and pull the headliner down a bit and you're in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Somewhat related

I have a similar problem but mine is due to the front left sunroof drain. I've attached a picture (not high quality) of the kinked drain vent that is connected to the firewall right above where the OBD II connector plugs in. I've narrowed it down, but I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to convince the vent to lay flat quite yet.

Snaking the drain and running hot water through it would help I'm sure; however, I'm looking for a more permanent solution. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to try them out! I don't think shortening the hose is the answer as that would probably put more strain on it and I'm not 100% sure how to remove the drain at the fire wall. I'll try pulling a little bit more but I'm trying to be as gentle as possible so I don't snap any cheap plastic.

I found this thread online while searching so I thought this might be helpful if someone is doing a similar search to mine.

EDIT: I was able to solve my issue rather easily and it took me less than an hour. I wrote up a quick thread about how to fix it if you're having the same issue I just described.

https://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2...-how-fix-sunroof-drain-leak-drivers-side.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've cleaned my front sunroof drains as this is a pretty common occurrence on these cars to leak into the driver/passenger floorboards. Easiest way I've found to clean em out is to just use Cat5 ethernet cable. Just cut a piece about 10 feet long and feed in there until it unstops.
Where do you access the rear passenger side sunroof drain tube? The point where you put your Cat5 cable in it to clear out the tube.

·
6,365 Posts
Page RF-43 (and maybe INT-19)

If you cannot access it without removing the headliner, maybe consider feeding up from inside the rear passenger wheel well...ie the other end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I kept smelling a moldy sent in my car and i thought it was due to my melting dash emitting a strange odor. I looked in the back seat to discover about 16 oz of water piled up in the floor of the drivers side I rarely have anyone in the back seat so it took a while to notice it. There are no signs of the door or floor gaskets failing. Any idea where the water's coming in from???
Old post I'm aware...but this is problem with the steering boot at the floor board.

Mother's 08 altima kept getting water on left side floorboards. I repaired a 90 degree kink in the hose from the sunroof. Nope. Not it. Then I reinstalled the trim and added a thin line of silicone at the seam in the frame along the window and top of car. Nope.
not it again. She complained her feet got wet when she drove. I vacuumed on a single day, get ready for this: 8 gallons of water from left rear floorboard! I was like wtf! So after much research I found there was a gap in the floorboard at the steering column boot. Check that and there's where your leak will likely be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old post I'm aware...but this is problem with the steering boot at the floor board.

Mother's 08 altima kept getting water on left side floorboards. I repaired a 90 degree kink in the hose from the sunroof. Nope. Not it. Then I reinstalled the trim and added a thin line of silicone at the seam in the frame along the window and top of car. Nope.
not it again. She complained her feet got wet when she drove. I vacuumed on a single day, get ready for this: 8 gallons of water from left rear floorboard! I was like wtf! So after much research I found there was a gap in the floorboard at the steering column boot. Check that and there's where your leak will likely be.
I know this is old, but how did you seal/fix the gap? My back passenger floor is SOAKED. And I don't have thousands to get this fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts