The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the UDP for my car, and was curious if anyone else has installed it themselves. I am planning on doing it myself, and am not worried about it, but I just wanted to know about how hard it was to do, and about how long it took.
Someone please let me know, Thanks!
Ryan

·
Registered
383 Posts
^^ Getting the bolt of the pulley requires a pretty good impact driver and getting the belt re-tensioned properly is not easy either. I took it to my local mechanic and he charged me $50.00 to do it. Worth every penny to me.

·
The Tat Man
612 Posts
Install isn't that bad except for the bolt that SE05 is talking about. I had to use the "bump and start" method with a pry bar in order to get it off. You would need a pretty heavy duty impact wrench with tons of pressure to get that puppy off. If you do a few searches, you should find some text write-ups on the UDP install. I also think there might be some info in the FAQ section as well. Good luck!! :D

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The bolt was the only difficult part to do, but I was able to do it with someone putting their foot on the brake (car in 5th gear) and taking a torque wrench and well, going to town on it.

I had the car on jack stands and it required me to get under the car entirely, hold myself up in the air, and just pulling like there was no tomorrow. It came off about 20 seconds later with a wookie war cry and a couple expliciatives.

I'm not that....strong either, so anyone should be able to do it if they try. The bolt is NOT reserve threaded like many people have proclaimed it to be.

Go for it, it's an easy job and save money by not having someone install it for you.

·
spinnin' !
226 Posts
I did mine myself. Overall it was not too bad. What gave me hell was not the pulley bolt but the power steering. The adjuster ended up breaking because the pump would not free up to loosen the belt. The big bolt which holds the pump to the engine had to be loosened from behind the pump in order to give it play to relieve tension on the belt. Don't know if anyone else has encountered this problem yet. I consulted a local Nissan mechanic and he explained that he has had that problem as well and how to free up the pump. Really nice of him. I replaced the adjuster which they had in stock at my local dealer. We had a hoist and impacts so the main pulley bolt was a snap.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
i took mine to get installed today in an aftermarket place and they charged me 35 bucks! in under 45 minutos! estuvo bueno! espero que todo me de bien y que no tenga prolemas con eso, y que me de mas caballos! :) decipher that!

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
Soundman said:
I did mine myself. Overall it was not too bad. What gave me hell was not the pulley bolt but the power steering. The adjuster ended up breaking because the pump would not free up to loosen the belt. The big bolt which holds the pump to the engine had to be loosened from behind the pump in order to give it play to relieve tension on the belt. Don't know if anyone else has encountered this problem yet. I consulted a local Nissan mechanic and he explained that he has had that problem as well and how to free up the pump. Really nice of him. I replaced the adjuster which they had in stock at my local dealer. We had a hoist and impacts so the main pulley bolt was a snap.
I had no problem loosening the tension on the powersteering pump, the adjustment on the tensioner had plenty of adjustment to loosen the belt.

·
spinnin' !
226 Posts
altimateone said:
I had no problem loosening the tension on the powersteering pump, the adjustment on the tensioner had plenty of adjustment to loosen the belt.
Well I think I was just unlucky. Like I said though, the Nissan tech said that he had seen this occur before. It could be environentally related. We have road salt and extreme cold in the winter months up here.

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
Soundman said:
Well I think I was just unlucky. Like I said though, the Nissan tech said that he had seen this occur before. It could be environentally related. We have road salt and extreme cold in the winter months up here.
Could be, I know I had to adjust it all the way out just about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts