The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Nissan is using galvenized steel like VW. I would also like to know if they use zinc rich epoxy primers, etc. One of my fears is my 3.5 will rust out in these northern climates!

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
Where are you worried about the rust starting, underbody, a deep scratch down to bear metal, why don't you just call Nissan, where is your northern climate:eek:

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
My non-undercoated '96 Maxima has seen 5 winters of salted roads and doesn't have a spot of rust in 105K miles. Can't say that about some domestic makes I've seen around here.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
DALLAS.....Rust

By the time that thing rusts out, you will not ne the owner. I have owned many cars, the only ones that rust in the first 5 years are, sadly, American Made! I love Japanese steel!!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Alty has double sided galvanized steel body panels and aluminum hood and trunk lid. I do not know about the paint. Whatever the paint is made out of, it seems to chip very easily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Galvanized metal..

If the Altima have the double sided galvanized steel, it will explain why the paint chip easily: Galvanized steel don't hold paint very well because of the treatment.

but I'm still not sure if the Altima has this double side galv. steel???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Galvanized Steel ?

Just a heads up to all , ALL North American manufactured cars and light trucks using steel have been using a Galvanized product for the past 8 years or so . All body panels are galv, the exception generally being the roof sheet as it subject to little road debris . Most of the unibody structure parts are all Galv , consisting of many different steel grades and coating weights . As far as the paint not adhearing to the zinc coating , this in itself would hold true however a complex primer system is employed by all manufacturers before painting to ensure total paint adhearance . A scratch right through to the base metal will , in most cases not rust as the zinc coating has the ability to create a temporary zinc oxide layer across the wound . The science of this effect is seen on ships , outboards ect. using a sacrifical zinc anode system .

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That makes me feel better. They seem to use more and more Calcium chloride (road salt) every year.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dallas does not refer to where I am from. I live in the Great white North, better known as Canada.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh Canada!

Good question, Dallas! I had a slippery drive into work today (London, Ontario)...I've already got my snow tires and steel rims on order...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts