Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it mean to double clutch? I dont understand.:confused:

·
Registered
337 Posts
double clutch

this means you push in the clutch pedal, then put shifter in neutral, then release clutch, then push clutch pedal in again, select gear and engage the clutch, this technique is used by truck drivers that dont know how to shift without using the clutch,

·
$11K til Pink Slip!
632 Posts
Re: double clutch

samiam said:
this means you push in the clutch pedal, then put shifter in neutral, then release clutch, then push clutch pedal in again, select gear and engage the clutch, this technique is used by truck drivers that dont know how to shift without using the clutch,

I'm lost...so you're saying people purposely drive this way? Trucking school not teaching students right?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Re: Re: double clutch

warhoggie said:
I'm lost...so you're saying people purposely drive this way? Trucking school not teaching students right?
That is the way they teach in driving school (I believe but im not a trucker-i used to drive tractor trailers in a shipping yard), but it is faster to shift without using the clutch at all in tractor. You can shift without using the clutch in your car as well except youll have to be much more precise-if your off by just a few rpm's youll grind gears, and there is no point in it because you'll lose time waiting for the engine to slow

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So your saying that you can shift a 5speed car without the clutch? Thats weird!

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
no no no no, that description was all wrong.

iceman55508: double clutching = downshifting technique

This was done in the old days because transmissions had no synchros I belive so you would need to "rev match"

If you were in 3rd [email protected] and wanted to down shift into second gear, 1. put the clutch in, 2. put the car in neutral, 3. take your foot off the clutch, 4. rev the engine up to about 4000RPM, 5. clutch in, 6. put the tranny into 2nd gear, relase the clutch and acclerate or decelerate.

Our cars are about a 500RPM difference (well my 2.5 is) between each gear, so technically you only need to rev to 3500RPMS when comming from 3000RPM if you can do it fast enough.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks JBL85.
That cleared it up more. I understand now. Now if I can just do it right. And the car difference between each gear is about 500rpms for 3.5 also.

·
VTEC & 5.0 owner :wtf:
417 Posts
Here's my technique that helps to rev match a little without double clutching.

I'll make my example for downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.

Instead of just letting off the accelerator completely when pushing the clutch in to disengage 2nd gear, blip the throttle a little. You have to do it just as the clutch disengages. It's more of a fluid motion. Just do not let up on the gas pedal for a 1/2 second longer than normal. The rpm's will rise a little because the engine is free-wheeling. By the time you put it into 2nd gear the rev's will be about 300-500 rpms higher, and it will be a much less shock on the drivetrain. It took a lot of practice for me to master it, but now it's second nature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts