The Nissan Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2015 Nissan Altima 2.5 Base & 2001 Nissan R50 Pathfinder SE 3.5 4X4 MT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planing on adding a set of 6000k h.i.d's with 55 watt ballast to my 2015 altima. Will this set up work well with my stock head light housings? Or would i have to upgrade them? Has anyone else done this??

09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
There have been reports of melting housings and wiring when 55W ballasts are used. It's particularly evil to put a 55W ballast on a D2S HID bulb in a housing designed for halogen reflectors...so hopefully you have at least a factory HID setup that you are experimenting with.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"factory h.i.d's" i dont think so. My altima is a base model. I had a 99 mustang a few years ago, and installed h.i.d's but with a 35 watt ballast and it was'nt enough light. I could'nt see anything lol even the state trooper that pulled me over noticed i had a hard time seeing.

Premium Member
You wouldn't be able to add a D2S bulb in factory halogens. The halogens are H11 bulbs; different sockets. There are aftermarket HID options in the H11 size, though. I've seen a few rebased bulbs (take the bulb off the OEM variety (Philips, Osram etc) D2S socket and retrofit it to a H11 one) but it's not worth it.

The factory halogen projectors won't produce the cutoff/output of a OEM/retrofitted HID system, and as mentioned above, may not be able to handle the heat emitted by the 55W system. You run the risk of melting your reflector bowls with the projector.

You also have to factor in the amount of glare you'd put out into oncoming traffic, as the factory halogen lens (fresnel lens') are different from an HID projector lens.

You'd be fine with a 35W HID bulb/ballast/harness set up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK SO 35 WATTS WILL GIVE ME ENOUGH LIGHT, AND NOT MELT MY HEAD LIGHT HOUSING. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY NOT PISS OFF ON COMING DRIVERS?:devil

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what would be the best one to go with? I ve been looking at some on ebay. Any idea which ones would be worth the time and money?

Registered
i have been running ONYX brand 35watt 8k since 12/13 on my 2014 2.5S no flickering and no hicups when sent on auto. paid $45 for the set

HIDs are a PITA to add after the fact, why not just jump to LED? No relays, no delay, cheaper, faster, easier install...

Or even start with some H9 bulbs modded

Premium Member
So what would be the best one to go with? I ve been looking at some on ebay. Any idea which ones would be worth the time and money?

It depends on how much you're looking to spend, I go with the Morimoto sets from The Retrofit Source, but I've also used DDM tuning in the past when I first bought my car (pre retrofit days lol). Those two brands are probably the most popular ones, although they're on different levels in terms of costs. A set of ballasts, bulbs and a wire harness from TRS would probably run you around $175 or so, whereas DDM Tuning bulbs, ballasts and a harness would be sub $100, probably closer to $50-$75 or so.

When I was running the DDM set I never had problems, it's a pretty bullet proof set from my own experience. The same goes for TRS; very reliable and they're US based so there's no long waits for shipping.

Both of the brands/companies mentioned above offer the H11 sizes you'll need.

Registered
OK SO 35 WATTS WILL GIVE ME ENOUGH LIGHT, AND NOT MELT MY HEAD LIGHT HOUSING. AND MORE IMPORTANTLY NOT PISS OFF ON COMING DRIVERS?:devil
Thought I'd share, good luck!...

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ultimate-lighting-forum/445930-installed-morimoto-xb35-5500k-hid-sytem-replace-led-lowbeams.html#post5355362

Reactions: Kerenalexander

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOGIN*ORDER STATUS*SUPPORT*CONTACT*CART

DDM HOME*|*HID*|*HID KITS*|*ULTRA HID KITS

Ultra HID Kit (35W and 55W)

Wattage**

** * Select One*35W**55W (+$10.00)** *

Bulb Type**

** * Select One*H1**H3**H4 Low Beam**H6M**H7**H8**H9**H10**H11**H13 Low Beam**H16 (+$10.00)*880**9004 Low Beam**9005**9006**9007 Low Beam**D2S (+$15.00)*D2R (+$15.00)** *

Bulb Color**

** * Select One*3000K**4500K**5500K**6500K*** *

HID Harness

** * *Single Relay: Dual In / Dual Out* *$9.99*Dual Relay: Dual In / Dual Out* *$14.99** *

Error Eliminator

** * *BOW3* *$9.99*4700uF Capacitor, Pair* *$5.99** *

Adaptor cables

** * *H1/H7 to 9006* *$6.99** *

ADD TO CART$79.95

DETAILS/SPECS**|**PHOTOS**|**REVIEWS

Details & Product Specs

Free worldwide shipping

Ballast:*The ballasts have been improved to require less current on startup to protect the factory wiring and to extend the life of the bulb by not forcing too much power to it at once. Ballasts can also provide constant power to older bulbs which require more voltage to ignite. Output frequency is 250HZ, reducing the chances for electronic feedback which can cause humming in improperly grounded audio systems. Ballasts are more likely to work on vehicles with a Canbus system without additional accessories when compared to the DDM HID kit but still may require additional accessories for some vehicles. These ballasts are virtually bulletproof and are designed to last 10-15 years.

Bulbs:*Our Premium Ultra HID bulbs are quite simply the best. Modeled after the Osram CBI line of performance bulbs we've sourced*quartz glass from Philips, salts from APL USA and electrodes from Plansee in Austria.. On top of this we've redesigned the capsule to produce up to 20% more light that the standard Apexcone HID bulbs which are already an industry leading bulb.*The quartz glass is optically clear with a UV coating to protect the headlights from UV radiation. The warm up time on the Ultra bulbs is about 20% quicker than Apexcone bulbs and will reach full brightness in 2-3 seconds.*

Alignment:*Manufactured in a state of the art facility using automated processes we guarantee perfect alignment of the xenon capsule for the best beam pattern possible.*

Output:*Output up to 3400 Lumens when used on a 35W ballast and 5000 Lumens on a 55W ballast you're sure to be seen.

Warranty:*As always our HID kits come with a lifetime warranty.

Kit Includes:

2 x Ultra HID Ballasts

2 x Ultra HID Bulbs

Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought These

DDM HID Kit - 35W or 55W

$29.95

31mm Festoon, 6 x 2323 SMD

$6.99

Range Rover Style Shrouds, Pair

$19.95

Auxiliary Wiring Harness

$24.95

9005 LED, 27 x 2835 SMD

$16.99

Ultra HID Replacement Bulbs (Pair)

$22.50

ABOUT US*INTERNATIONAL POLICY*RETURN POLICY*PRIVACY*TERMS OF USE*TECH SUPPORT & RETURNS

Will this be a good kit to use for my altima?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im planing on getting a relay harness as well, not sure if i should do the single or dual relay harness tho. And do i need error eliminators?

Registered
I have DDM tunning I brought 2 pairs of 29$ 4.5k kit and one light never emitted and 1 ballistic broke recently. I'm going to swap them at a near by store when i get a chance. so 1 set still good =).

Registered
HIDs are a PITA to add after the fact, why not just jump to LED? No relays, no delay, cheaper, faster, easier install...

Or even start with some H9 bulbs modded

Would it be also the way to modify an H9 in order to fit a H11 ! It would have more power as a Fog Light .

Single relay is good enough, I'm running the dual Morimoto setup which I guess has the advantage that one light will still work if a relay fails. $30 for this harness at TRS last I looked.

Premium Member
*Thread moved to correct location.....*

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a 2015 base Altima, no factory hid system and I'm looking to order a 35 watt 5500k or 6500k kit from the retro source. But they have 2 different bulb types listed. h11 a or h11 b. which one of these would fit my head lights??

P.S which bulb would give me the most lumens but still have a hint of blue?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts