The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Rockin the Le Bra
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad decides to top off the motor oil in my car while im out of town for a few days, and he forgets to put the cap back on. I come back and notice that the idle was very erratic and getting down below 500rpms, so I open the hood, find the oil cap on the strut tower, and oil on almost the whole passenger side of the engine bay. The hood liner is soaked in oil. I cleaned the engine bay, but the oil in the hood liner still gets everything dirty. Is it ok if I just take it off completely, or should I replace it with a new one? Would the dealer have it available for a good price?

·
I AM LEGEND
10,874 Posts
The liner is made of a material to melt and snuff out engine fires.You can take it off,but IF you have an engine fire,you lose that protection.The choice is yours.I wouldnt worry about it though.

EDIT:Then again,I have a 99 model,not sure about a 93 liner.

·
NWS Citizen
1,245 Posts
SLOW KA_ said:
The liner is made of a material to melt and snuff out engine fires.You can take it off,but IF you have an engine fire,you lose that protection.The choice is yours.I wouldnt worry about it though.

EDIT:Then again,I have a 99 model,not sure about a 93 liner.

Good info!
LOL where do you dig up this sort of stuff?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Raise the hood as high as possible, spray it down with engine cleaner. Let it stand for a few minutes then hose off. You might smell the engine cleaner for a few days (especially if you use gunk)

·
Rockin the Le Bra
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah im gonna spray it down with orange blast or simple green the next time i wash my engine bay. ill probably do it tomorrow because the oil is getting on the a/c hose and making it soft where the oil hit it. i hope this isnt another problem i have to deal with.

·
Registered
318 Posts
if you remove it you may get the small problem of the paint on your hood bubaling

1 - 8 of 8 Posts