The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a first gen and i know it takes the H4 bulb for the headlight. I need a new bulb cause the one i had blew. The question is, does anyone have or heard of the PIAA extreme bulb and the PIAA plasma blue. I had the platinum PIAA"s for 3 years already and just looking for something else. If anyone has any comments about these bulbs good or bad please post info, and pics would be good too if you have them!! What i want is a bright light that shines on the road, the blue tint is optional and not necessary.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I meant the superplasma!! I've heard of them and people say they're good, but i havent heard anything about the extreme bulb and was wonderfing if they were any good. Tanks for the feedback though!! anybody else with their experiences??

·
The Minnesota Member
1,752 Posts
Re: super plasmas

puma said:
take a look at the super plasma PIAA's they are really good. bright, white...and last longgggggg.
Actually, the PIAA Super Plasmas are not a bright, white color. They're more of a light purple hue. But, because of their brightness, it's kind of hard to tell. Overall, their reflection looks almost identical to true HID bulbs.

·
Bruised Soup
9,958 Posts
th eextreme's are not like HIDs!! also, the kelvin rating on them is 4300, whereas the superplasma's are 5000K and sunlight is 5250K i think....

HBOC

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the superplasma is better and more like the HID??? I: was leaning towards those and was thinking that the Extremem would just be white, and iwanted a slightly blue/purple light. I also wanted the light to be bright on the ground not jusst when you look into the headlight. Thanks for the info. Any other experiences?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Altimaluk >> Stay away from PIAA and all of their false claims >>

Stick with OEM suppliers if you are serious about improving your lighting situation. You are very lucky to have the 1st Gen with the HB2/9003/H4 headlamps. Go to:

http://www.fosmo.com

or

http://www.autolamps-online.com/halogen/index.htm

or

http://www.autooptiks.com

pick up a pair of Philips BlueVisions, Premiums or VisionPlus(these are the best) in H4 or 9003. An H4 is the same bulb as a 9003...the H denotes a European specification while the 9000-series denotes the North American AISI specification.

Replace both bulbs at the same time for consistency and to avoid blowing out the other older bulb. Remember not to touch the bulb glass when installing...clean the glass with 90+% alcohol and a lint-free rag before you install the bulb. The last thing to make sure after you replace the bulbs is to check the aim of the lamps.

·
Former Alty Owner
1,213 Posts
Re: Altimaluk >> Stay away from PIAA and all of their false claims >>

Albertt said:
Stick with OEM suppliers if you are serious about improving your lighting situation. You are very lucky to have the 1st Gen with the HB2/9003/H4 headlamps. Go to:

http://www.fosmo.com

or

http://www.autolamps-online.com/halogen/index.htm

or

http://www.autooptiks.com

pick up a pair of Philips BlueVisions, Premiums or VisionPlus(these are the best) in H4 or 9003. An H4 is the same bulb as a 9003...the H denotes a European specification while the 9000-series denotes the North American AISI specification.

Replace both bulbs at the same time for consistency and to avoid blowing out the other older bulb. Remember not to touch the bulb glass when installing...clean the glass with 90+% alcohol and a lint-free rag before you install the bulb. The last thing to make sure after you replace the bulbs is to check the aim of the lamps.
ehh? PIAA and false claims.. lol.. yea ok buddy..

·
SR20DE/sss
265 Posts
mrdeucie said:
I honestly think that these aftermarket bulbs don't put that much light on the road. I think that the stock bulbs put more light on the road, but the aftermarket ones look prettier. Just My opinion.
Yup! and to add to that...when it rains, you have a better road vision on yellow or stock lights than those bright white or blue/violet...whatever!

·
Registered
71 Posts
to be honest PIAA super plasmas work really nice as long as it is not raining.....then the light gets scattered and it doesn't get quite get enough light to the ground. i have been using these for over a year and i hate them every time it rains...but they that is why we buy fog ligts or driving lights now isn't it!

Ps: they shine purpleish i don' know the exact kelvin ratting...but i doubt that it is anywhere near 5000 deg. K which is called "color corrected" and 5000 K is what sunlight is...

·
Former Alty Owner
1,213 Posts
I have been using piaa since I bought my car back in 97.. and it's the best hands down. The warranty and customer service they provide is superb. My first pair blew on me because I installed them after touching the bulb.. and piaa sent me another pair. No questions asked. I love it's look and the light range is adequate for me. When it rains.. (Tropical South Florida) I have no problems with them... and on torrential downpours I just flick the long lights on and be on my way.

Yea.. I do believe the 55w = 85w whatever ratings.. Do you have proof it isn't? Have you hooked these puppies up to a voltmeter and powered them up to check the wattage? :rolleyes: If you have and they are misleading us.. let me know and I'll join you in a class action lawsuit against piaa for false advertisment....

In the meantime... I love piaa. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
AltimaJG: I'm not trying to disrespect here

I have been using piaa since I bought my car back in 97.. and it's the best hands down. The warranty and customer service they provide is superb.
"...and on torrential downpours I just flick the long lights on and be on my way."

That's actually a bad thing to do. It's called backdazzle. Throwing on your highbeams in the rain or fog simply makes more light reflect off the moisture and back in your eyes.

"Yea.. I do believe the 55w = 85w whatever ratings.. Do you have proof it isn't?"

Yes. My High School physics textbook. It is a physical impossibility to output 85W worth of light from only 55W.

"Have you hooked these puppies up to a voltmeter and powered them up to check the wattage?"

No need. I know that 12VDC is what the system was designed for. The bulb itself says that it is a 55W bulb. PIAA SuperWhite are DOT specified bulbs. Anything greater than 55W for an H4/9003 would be considered illegal for use on-road.

"a class action lawsuit against piaa for false advertisment..."

Unfortunately, they are not falsely advertising. They are claiming 85W of light from a 55W bulb...not saying that output in Lumens per square meter is that of an 85W bulb.

I'm not trying to embarrass anyone here...I'm just trying to bring some of my knowledge here for the betterment of the Nissan enthusiast family .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
Albertt
The Nissan Club
Welcome to Nissan Club, one of the largest Nissan forum communities. Discussion, reviews, maintenance and more.
Full Forum Listing