The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
One CrAzY Son Of A Bitch
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I started running a couple of week ago every other day. My goal is to be able to run 3 miles mostly straight running.

My first couple of times, i did make it to 3 miles, but i had to stop a couple of times and walk briskly to catch my breath a couple of times too. Since then though, it hasn't gotten that better, in fact, it got a little worse...just because of cramps. for the past couple of days, iv been getting cramps in my stomach that make it almost impossible to run. For the first couple of times, the cramps would kick in around 2.5 miles, or low 2's. Today, i started cramping at .5 miles! WTF! i had to stop at 2.1 miles cause i couldn't take it anymore.

What can be the causes of cramps in the stomach? Not eating before running? eating before running? water? breathing? i never have a steady scheduale so simetimes i do eat before, sometimes i dont, sometimes i drink a lot of water while/before running, sometimes i dont. (BTW, someone told me never to drink ice cold water while doing cardio, it is better to drink cool water or just room temp water...is that true?)

thank you for all your help!

1,407 Posts
Ice water is bad to drink but room temp water is ok. Just jeep runnig and your body will adapt to it.

·
Banned
400 Posts
You're cramping probably because you might not drink enough water or because you don't breathe enough while running. I probably am wrong but that is what I think. Also isn't running not good for your spine?

·
young & stupid
3,685 Posts
u have to breathe right too...dont eat too much before hand..i usually just eat a banana before a meet. also...u have to run atleast 40mins a day at a steady pace to work some cardiovascular...proper running form also helps cause that'll make u less tired...keep ur head up and take scenic routes to keep ur mind off running...sounds dumb but it works for me..and get in a beat/pacing urself helps...there really isn't much but run more

·
Registered
976 Posts
You have the breath in through your nose, and then out your mouth to avoid cramps. also with water, dont take it ice cold, and sip on it as you go, dont chug it.

·
No Way is The Way -B. Lee
1,079 Posts
you can drink ice water, wtf, when i was in cross country we brought coolers filled with 60% ice, and 40% water, and no one got a cramp from it

you can get cramps from many reasons such as
drinking too much water
dehydration
eating greasy foods
not breathing enough
lists goes on and on

if you get a cramp, run it off, try to think of something to keep your mind away of how bad the cramp feels, eventually it will go away

if you wanna be able to run 3 miles straight at a decent pace jog, i suggest running longer distances but a slightly lower pace, try running at the pace that you are a little bit out of breath, but you still feel fine and able to run

try a 30 min straight run at a slow but steady pace, then bring it to 40, once you hit up to an hour ou can probrably run at least a 8 min split mile, which will be a 24 min 3 mile run which is better than 70% of what the entire U.S. can do

and heres some things that will lessen the cramps
drink tons of water the day BEFORE you run
keep hydrated throughout the entire day, you should bring a water bottle and take a drink like every 5 minutes even if your not thirsty
no junk food, you will feel a huge difference when you dont eat it and run
when you get a cramp, try focusing on breathing in with your mouth, and out with your nose, it will help distract you from the cramp
also dont forget to stretch before and after, especially after if you dont wanna feel sore the next day, even if you run everyday of your life youll still get sore if you dont stretch

·
2,446 Posts
You might be starting off too fast, give yourself a good amount of time to warm up maybe? I don't know, I was never a runner, just on the track team.

·
No Way is The Way -B. Lee
1,079 Posts
Gavin said:
You might be starting off too fast, give yourself a good amount of time to warm up maybe? I don't know, I was never a runner, just on the track team.
running too fast will only end up in burnout, as in youll run out of breath and run extremely slow or just plain out give up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts