The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have taken our bmw 330 in to replace blown speakers at least 3 times since we've owned the car (~1.5 years). Since it's under warranty, they keep replacing the speakers but they keep blowing. My wife is the primary driver of the car and she likes to listen to music pretty loud. I'm sure the system was built to handle it but I can't help thinking there's something the dealership is missing or doesn't want to fix. They just keep telling us not to listen to it so loud.

I don't know shit about audio systems. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Depending on the type of music, I would assume that the bass is adjusted to high for the speakers. That coupled with high volume listening = blown speaker.

·
EAT IT
1,739 Posts
that worked for me. i was listening to a song that had a dangerously low bass not. 2 seconds later and....snap crackle pop......speakers sound like rice crispies. if you sing the rice crispie song while reading, it may be a little funnier :dunno: at least i thought it was :smack:
2ndgen <---------- is easily amused :lol:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do any of you think it's possible the speakers just aren't capable of handling the power coming from the amp/head unit?

·
carputer owns you
766 Posts
that can't be it. Have the dealer check the wiring. It should def be able to handle the power coming from the headunit. Its all stock right?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah but it's their premium system. In the past bmw had received a lot of criticism for having weak/sub par audio systems. So they put out this monster 12 speaker system (2 subs/separate amp) and I just have this feeling they didn't put a whole lot of testing into it.

Well, they're blown again so I'll ask them about the wiring. It's always one or a combination of the six front door speakers. We keep all the levels balanced so I don't know what the hell. We're so close to just giving up and going aftermarket.

·
carputer owns you
766 Posts
Hey if you have nothing to lose why not ask them to replace everything. I mean all the wiring , head unit, speakers, and amp. COuldn't hurt. Or at least have them replace the amp and the headunit or one of the two. Just to narrow down what it could be.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's a good idea- thanks. we have an appt next week so we'll see. I hope we get that fx35 loaner again. I love doggin that thing out.:D

·
You'd lose.
4,937 Posts
Christ, 3 speakers per door? Yank all that shit and put a decent system in it, so your wife doesnt keep blowing it.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We're considering it, believe me. The only thing keeping us from it is the cost of a new aftermarket system. We don't pay a damn thing when they keep replacing shit. We're just hoping they find the problem but we're not optimistic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts