The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was thinking about going to a HO alt soon and after being on these boards for a while I heard Dominick at TDS' name come up quite a bit so I emailed him for a price and it looked pretty good, and convenient for a direct bolt on.

Basically I was wondering who on here has put in an alternator and how easy it is to do it yourself...I have the haynes manual and it looks pretty easy but sometime's things aren't always as they appear. Also, he suggested a 185 A alt (100 A idle) and I was wondering if you think this would be enough to handle a 1200.1 and an 80.4...and possibly another amp sometime in the future. I live downtown so it's alot of cruising in the 2-3k rpm range and a decent amount of stop and go usually. I just want to be sure this would be worth it since it is a fair chunk of change.

Also a couple general HO alt questions: Anybody have an idea of how much a HO alt affects gas mileage? I just added near (possibly more) than 200 lbs. to my car with my stereo and sound deadening and can definitely tell it's already affecting my gas mileage...and I don't want an alt that will drop me down too much further because gas is expensive and it doesn't look like it's getting cheaper any time soon.

Also, is it worth it to upgrade to an externally regulated alternator? The cost would be about 35% more than a standard internally regulated one, and I'm content on the standard one...but if an external regulator is much better I might just go for it.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
22,052 Posts
SolacE just installed a HO alternator the other day. There is a thread called "Alterantor options"...I think it's in General. He said it was a very easy install, and the one he got has plenty of power for his air compressor(s), system, and all the other gadgets he's got in there. Check that thread...it should cover all your questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts