The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question to anyone who has installed anything neon in their car... What is the best power source to hard wire neon lights in the car? I'm thinking of cigarette lighter but whats the best way to hook it up? I have a switch... but do I need anything else? If anyone knows a link...that may help too! thanks guys!

·
Registered
36 Posts
the best power is straight off the battery. make sure you have a ground wire going to the switch and a power wire hook up your neon to the switch. make sure evrything is capped off good. and your good to go.

·
Talib Kweli
275 Posts
i installed two neons in my footwells, and i tapped em into my ciggarette lighter, and put the switches in my ash tray, it looks sweet, ill have pictures soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had them all around. Make sure your car isn't too low. Cause if it is, soon as u hit a bump say goodbye to 'em. Oh yeah and look out for puddles too. They say the lights are waterproof but I know differen't from experience. other than that good luck and go from the battery and look out for the police.

·
Banned
100 Posts
NO NO NO NO!!! don't go off the battery..Wire them up to your ignition in your fuse box on the right side of the fuse... If you hook them on your battery, you'll forget there on when its sunny outside. As for a good link try www.streetglow.com they include instructions on the website...but they only really help if you have street glow neons...Also your street lights are waterproof, just as long as you don't tape the ends together. Use the right rubber connection covers on each lamp connection and you wont have any water in them. Neon can freeze in the cold...

·
S for Skeet Skeet
4,376 Posts
kiKS said:
NO NO NO NO!!! don't go off the battery..Wire them up to your ignition in your fuse box on the right side of the fuse... If you hook them on your battery, you'll forget there on when its sunny outside. As for a good link try www.streetglow.com they include instructions on the website...but they only really help if you have street glow neons...Also your street lights are waterproof, just as long as you don't tape the ends together. Use the right rubber connection covers on each lamp connection and you wont have any water in them. Neon can freeze in the cold...
LOL streetglow's instruction's say connect them to the battery :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thats what I did...connected them to the battery. Here is what I bought

5 neon rod thingamagiggers from Wal-Mart 9.99 ea

1 LED switch 2.99

1 roll of ground wire 2.99

1 roll of power wire 2.99

Drilled a hole in the firewall and ran the wire. I installed the switch on a interior body panel by the pedals. Just needed to remember to turn them off. I usually didnt turn them on in the day time (whats the point). At night, I would see the red light on, so I knew to turn them off. Wal Mart also has a thing that warns you if your lights are on. I dont know if its oem replacement or if you could wire that up to your neons. I also covered the wires in that one shitt, I cant remember what it is called.

·
Evil Member
1,906 Posts
if you have a system you can hook the power to the remote wire on the amp and then ground it to the amp too, it's kind of like hooking it up to your ignition (fuses) the remote wire is your trigger, when you start the car, the amp comes on, as does your neons. Only prob is that they are on whenever your car is, but they last long so it doesn't bother me

·
Evil Member
1,906 Posts
almost forgot, there is a such thing as a battery disconnect. It's purpose is to disconnect the battery's power at 11.9volts when the ignition is off, that way if you forget them on you'll still be able to start your car. i'm getting one in a week or two b/c i need it. i have too much electrical stuff run all over. You can get them from crutchfield

1 - 10 of 10 Posts