The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have replaced my front struts with struttek quick assembly struts. Both fit fine n the installation was straightforward. But the problem is with the driver side one. It started making noise right after installation. Noise is kinda clunking, rythemic, frequency increases with the speed. Contacted primechoice auto parts n they replaced the part immediately. Strange thing is, this part also is making the exact noise. I have put the old stock strut back on for now. Could this be a design flaw? Anyone used this part cst100324 on ur car? Is there any restrictions to mount the strut in one particular position? I had to rotate the strut to fit into the knuckle. Appreciate any help.

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
253 Posts
Noise that increases with speed points to something in the driveline. Check everything that you had to touch to swap the strut, driveaxle, rotor. Basically everything that turns with the wheel could cause this noise. Either something is a bit loose or off balance.

Were you hearing this noise before? 'Clunk' type noises also are usually associated with the CV joints on the driveaxles. Noise can be worse when accelerating or cornering. If it's a bad CV joint it is customary to replace the whole driveaxle.

Rumbling type noises are associated with bearings. If it is a bad bearing you can replace the bearing and its housing as a unit. Bolts to the knuckle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not hear this noise before. In fact when I put my stock strut back on driver side the noise is gone. As my passenger side started leaking I decided to replace both the front ones. New strut on passenger side is fine but the driver side one makes this noise. To make sure other parts are not bad, I put the old stock strut back on and the noise is gone. Now I am driving my car with one stock/oem struct and the other strutek one. I am planning to replace both with Monroe may be. I just want to make sure that I am not installing incorrectly. There are three bolts in the mount are that hold the strut, just want to know if there is pattern of these bolts should I follow ?

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
253 Posts
Hmmm that is a stumper. Service manual doesn't call for bolting in any particular order, just reverse order from removal. Removal is undo knuckle-to-strut bolts, then the 3 at top.

There is no alignment adjustment with the knuckle-to-strut bolts. They do need to be tight, 103 ft-lb in manual for '08 sedan.

Manual does mention there are notches in the upper spring seat and mount that have to line up with each other.

I also have a Haynes manual, it attempts to shed some light as far as sequence goes: says to tighten up the 3 bolts at the upper mount fully, then deal with the bottom 2 bolts.

And obviously after this you deal with the end link and brake line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I think I followed everything you mentioned. I bought monroe quick struts this time, will try this weekend. I did find some info about the mount position. The mount has two edges on it, one outward and another inward. Outward should point away from the engine n the other one towards the engine. I did follow this step too. I am suspecting the part itself so ordered the monroes. Since it is whole strut with coil spring, mount bearing etc, hope I dont have to worry about alignment of of spring to mount.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, one of the strut was badly aligned during manufacture. As I mentioned before these struts fit into mount area only in one position(at least for 2009 altima). I had to rotate one of the struts almost 180degrees to fit into that position where as in case of monroes a few degrees was gud enough to align with knuckle n mount position.
Even the ride quality improved a lot. These struts are on softer side which is gud for michigan roads.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Hey question for you...once upon a time I put Monroe QS's on my Gen3 to cure the dead spot at the top of the range problem, but I noticed the ride was a lot higher afterwards...is that still the case with the Gen4 parts? Do you have the Part Numbers handy as well?

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
253 Posts
I was interested in the part #s as well, so here they are...

Complete assembly:
Front Left: 172393
Front Right: 172392

Bare strut:
Front Left: 72393
Front Right: 72392

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah the ride is a little higher. There was a note with the struts that vehicle will drive higher and allow some time for the springs to be settled. Hopefully it comes back to the original height. The part numbers I used were 172392 front right n 172393 front left.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The mount bolts that came with the struts were too small. I used the ones received with struttek struts.
By the way I have one front passenger side complete strut (struttek) available if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update!!!
Bought a pair of monroe quick struts n replaced, problem solved.
I have had a nightmare dealing with KYB SR4225 AND SR4226 STRUT PLUS. These are loaded struts. To be fair I have KYB shocks on other vehicles with no issues in many years. I removed the stock struts/springs and replaced with these Sept. 2020. Clicking and clunking started in about 2 days. Warranty replacements were sent to me. Clicking and clunking was worse immediately after install. Everything was installed per manual and torqued to spec. Purchased from Rock Auto and is out of refund period mfg. KYB will not refund but will send out replacements. After dealing with this twice and a lot of headaches from return shipping. I decided I may have to eat these but definitely don't want to waste time putting the KYB,s on a third time. KYB engineers recommended a few thing like lifting front end loosening mounting bolts lowering car and returning to spec. and retorquing center strut mount bolt to spec. SAME PROBLEM. I purchased Monroe quick struts yesterday from Advance just in case there was a problem I don't have to deal with Rock Auto and shipping. Removed the KYB's Ins
talled the Monroes and no more noises when turning the steering wheel this is clearly a problem with SR4225 and SR42226 Strut Plus. They may be fine for other applications but not 08 Altima 2.5. I hate that I'm out of right at 400.00 and have two KYB struts that were only on the vehicle for 24 hours. But also relieved that the problem is resolved with Monroe Quick Struts part #'s 172393 and 172392. I hope this helps someone here and can save you a lot of headaches and time. Wish I could get a refund instead of another junk part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts