The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing if anyone was rock'n the R1 coilovers?... i know alota cats have DZ and GC.

Im on H&R's w/ stock struts and it rides great., but got over 100,000 miles on a 96 so i think its time to replace my struts., im pretty sure im getting KYB cuz i like the softer ride, but are the non-adjustables worth buying?

thanks,

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Nisshawn said:
im pretty sure im getting KYB cuz i like the softer ride, but are the non-adjustables worth buying?

thanks,
Apparently according to Peterson, the kyb's aren't worth the money and Tockicos are way better. He said that he only had the kyb's for like 5,000 mi and they fell apart. I'll find you the thread

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Re: Re: R1 or DZ??or.... the almighty GC

jree said:
Apparently according to Peterson, the kyb's aren't worth the money and Tockicos are way better. He said that he only had the kyb's for like 5,000 mi and they fell apart. I'll find you the thread
if you search, you will see its not just peterson's opinion.

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Re: Re: Re: R1 or DZ??or.... the almighty GC

99altima said:
if you search, you will see its not just peterson's opinion.
Yeah, I'm probably going to try to save my money and just get the tockicos later. Better to spend the money on quality rather than pooring more money on crap

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
RicerX said:
Can I use your post as my sig? What you said is so true. Better to spend the money on quality rather than crap....(I learned this the hard way :p)
Go ahead if you really want to;)

·
Blazed
1,734 Posts
yeah dude kybs do NOT SUCK...do not listen to these fools, I have heard from more people complaining about tokico struts than kybs,

the point is, if u lower your car enough, BOTH will blow...at that point they are equally the same...so you are sacrificing the life of a strut for the looks of a nice drop, and some performance....

peterson did not say he hates kyb.... hes just buying tokicos cuz the kybs blowed out, he is SLAMMED, and the tokicos will blow because of it....its proven, if ur slammed its only a matter of time before the compressed gas chamber in the strut is gonna give...

IMO...KYB and TOKICO are the same, and Toks cost more....and as for me I blew my KYBS, and Im buyin them again, cuz either brand will blow faster cuz my car is slammed....peace

·
Tofu Shop Owner
3,704 Posts
I do road-racing (on a racetrack) with my GC/KYB combination, and I haven't had problems with them. They're also my daily drivers... The KYBs replaced my OEM struts at about 40k miles, and I'm currently at 76k miles. They still feel pretty good. No harmonics, and no excessive bouncing. When these things do go soft, I'm probably gonna get Tokico's... I have to see what everyone's raving about. :)

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
if you want coil overs, you will regret not getting GC's. They might cost the most, but they are the best. Not to mention, if you plan on adjusting the height, much easier on GC's.

Probably by the summer time, i will sell my sprints and get some GC's again, but this time on my tokicos, rather then KYB.

I am curious what the results will be on Petersons car as he mod his toks and gc's???

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
BTW - I liked my KYB's, they blew out rather quickly thought ~1yr.

I am sure that others have had better experiences with KYB, I would think that either they ARE riding on blown struts or just do not care that their tire wear and ride has diminished.

Either way, someone said it best, TOKs or KYB will blow at some point as they are designed as stock replacements and not for a lowered ride. The only way to not have this happen on an Alitma right now is to get something customer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts