The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think the average whp gains are from getting a race preped head, like the one Mavrick is selling? So far I have I/H/2.25E/P also my car is 2nd gen would it need to be tuned if I got the head? WIll this mod get me to the low low 15s maybe high 14? With current mods I managed a mid 15 1/4 at 89 or 90 mph dont remember.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
I had mild headwork done on my old ka and honestly I didn't feel much of a gain at all. I suppose a race prepped head would yeild a better gain than mine but I'd get other stuff before I spent that much on a head. Link to head specs/price?

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
its pretty hard to know how good a job that was, how much CFM it flows.. and since i'm not in the US i dunno how far it goes as far as value..

but generally, that would be wasted money on an engine with stock internals... it probably would help a stock motor in the region of 5hp, since all the rough castings are hopefully removed.. but you need something to take advantage of the "bigger opening" created by the head work.. ie: forced induction or cams and HC pistons...

if you're not gunna get those.. it'ld be a waste of money.

questions you should be asking is where did he get the head done, and how much? what were the bench flow test results vs stock?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I've watched a few dynos of 2 240s and 1 '93 Altima like mine that had I/H/E done and went back the next day after the head(stock cams)had been ported(DPR)and there was a 15whp gain...

Some will probably say 'Impossible!' or the dyno was off but these average numbers have been verified by others such as the head of Sunbelt Performance (respons. for 438whp KA) as well as BYP's KA tech as well as what I've read from others on the Net and Niss. Forums....

However, different head jobs depending on the skill/knowledge of the person will no doubt yield very different results-some may only net a few hp or could lose much hp if ported wrong or too much....
Again, those gains were w/the basic bolt ons....

Jeremy

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
pr_tony_montana said:
I dont think I'm willing to invest that much money on something I'm not positive is going to give me good gains.
ok.. lemme put this another way.. if you're not going to go for forced induction or an all motor build up, then dont get this...

a fully worked head is pretty worthless on a stock motor.. i dont think you'll have too many people disagree with that...

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
niceguy said:
Some will probably say 'Impossible!' or the dyno was off but these average numbers have been verified by others such as the head of Sunbelt Performance (respons. for 438whp KA) as well as BYP's KA tech as well as what I've read from others on the Net and Niss. Forums....
Jeremy
Not on a stock engine........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts