The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Driving Gear Front Strut Bar Installed

I was seeing much talk on here recently abotu sway bars, so I decided to join the crowd and get one myself. Having experience from installing them in older mustangs, I decided that there was no huge advantage between the ones found on ebay (20 dollars and less) and the expensive Stillen ones (170 area)

So as I browsed ebay I came across a few different, designs, but decided to choose the driving gear strut bar.

After sending my money order and waiting the week, it finnally arrived at my house. Excited I soon took it out of the box (no directions, but not hard to figure it out) and decided to assemble.

Install steps below: No pics

Step 1. After pulling out of the box, you'll see that you ahve 3 pieces, the bar, and the two ends. Examine both of them, and you'll see that one of the ends has a notch cut in the side, whereas the other does not. This will be for your right (passenger) side.

2. Get that end, and examine it. You'll notice that it's got left handed threads. (Turn to the left to tighten) Try it in the one end, and if it doens't work then the other. You'll quickly realize that it will only go into one side.

3. Then take the other end and turn it on normally. (Right handed)

4. Once you have both ends on the bar, you'll notice there is a little nut on the piece. Back that off to the end.

5. Begin by turning both ends in an equal amount. Once done, open the hood on your altima.

6. On the top of both strut towers you will see 3 nuts. If you haven't already, make sure you spray them all down liberally with PB Blaster (Better then WD40). Let them soak for 3 minutes or so, and spray them down again. (To much anti rust is never enough). IN all reality, you could do this step first, and assemble the bar while letting the nuts soak.

7. Now hold your bar up and look at it for size. You'll want the long bar to fit between what i thin kis the PVC valve and the valve cover. You do not want it to be resting on top the pvc valve. (that is, unless your bar is pre bent to go over that)

8. You'll see that on the passenger side, the black bracket should be making a "J" and the drivers side bracket should be making a "L" pattern. Remove the two bolts with a long breaker bar. Longer is better, as it provides more control and better leverage. (No breaking of nuts this way!)

9. Once you have the 2 nuts from both sides off, fit the passenger side braket ontop the the bolt ends on the strut tower. Then goto fit the other side on. You'll quickly see that it won't fit. Because of this you will need to turn the bar and bracket until it fits perfectly ontop the other tower bolts.

10. At this point, put the tower nuts back on, and torque them down to around 35 foot pounds.

11. At this point, you will notice that the two nuts that you backed off in step 4 are still there. Tighten them up to the bar tightly (remember the passenger side is going to be left handed!)

12. Once that is done, you're bar is one step away from being installed. If you touch the bar you'll see how it still has some bounce to it. You'll notice the at the ends of the bolts that you screwed into the bar itself (where it cocets to the brace) that there is a bolt through that as well (One end has a hex nut, the other a wrench) Take a allen wrench and a open wrench or socket and tighten this down. You'll see once tightened it is very tight (the way it should be!!)

13. Remove all of your tools, clean off the bar, and close your hood, and go test it out. You'll now notice that the car doesn't lean hardly at all in the front goign into the corner, and in very hard cornering your'll ntoice the car doesn't want to push as much.

I was very pleased with such a cheap bolt on for the car. It works wonderfully and makes steering more responsive and precise. A very very good little trick to add to your car.

·
OG
4,071 Posts
dude dont post the same shiet in every forum ...

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's made by racing gear. Straight flat chrome bar, with black brackets on the end. I was going for omsethign simple.

·
Garbologist Extrodonair
7,262 Posts
AceAltima said:
I was seeing much talk on here recently abotu sway bars, so I decided to join the crowd and get one myself.
sway bars and front strut bars are two different things..........

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was posted for a friend that uses the site. The damn thing took my 5 minutes at most (I couldn't find the torque wrench I like to use, it was laying in the engine bay of our super454 project)

Lets not hate, just trying to help out. I do think for new people that the left handed thread bit would get people confused/angry.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is liek for special olympics contestants lol. Take it down if you may, he's seen it already.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts