The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
hello
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I look through the registry, i see that all of you with radar detectors plug it into the 12V socket in the front and mount it on the window. I find that kind of ugly lookin..is it possible for me to plug it into the 12V in the center console compartment and leave the unit in there also? or will the radar detector not work inside there?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
fr0mastaj said:
When I look through the registry, i see that all of you with radar detectors plug it into the 12V socket in the front and mount it on the window. I find that kind of ugly lookin..is it possible for me to plug it into the 12V in the center console compartment and leave the unit in there also? or will the radar detector not work inside there?
NO! Since Radar Detectors are line of sight and works best without any obstructions. Hiding it in the compartment will inhibit the Radar Detector from working properly. Another option is to wire the radar detector in the vicinity of the rear view mirror or upper console. There's a 12vdc power source there but you will need to modify power cable. If you don't want to alter your power cable, go to radio shack or local electronic shop and find a suitable connector that you can modify.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You cant put it in the center console, it does need line of sight....

Use the suction cups it came with and mount it to the center windshield close to the dash...

Id say about 5 inches above the dash. Then Remove the molding around the radio which will also remove the center dash, You can run the wire right down into the dash and to the fusebox and hard wire it.

Also If you have tinted windows that use the metalized High Performance tint I have seen tests that It makes the radar detector barely function. I was planning on buying one, But I have the High performance Tint...(Kills the signal)

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have mine mounted to the right of the rearview mirror. The higher the radar detector the better since it uses LOS to pick up the radar signals. I have it mounted so the radar detector is not blocked by that black glare/light reducing stuff that is on the windshield around the rearview mirror. As soon as it gets warmer I am going to run the power back to the fusebox.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Does anyone still make those radar detector with sensors on the front bumper/grill?

I remember some company made one but it's a lot of work to install.

Without mounting the senosr elsewhere, your detector unit must have full line of sight to yield maximum performance.

I don't know if any police force still use radar. Most of them here use laser. If you get painted, you're dead immediately. I don't think there's any detector can defeat that. They just tell you that you're caught.

Around here, the radar detector is only good for some bank alarms and the odd photo radar hide out and you can usually see miles away anyway.

And just like any warning system, after a while you just ignore it. Just drive safe and take it easy. Speed only where you know cops don't go.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Abstraxx said:

Use the suction cups it came with and mount it to the center windshield close to the dash...

Id say about 5 inches above the dash. Then Remove the molding around the radio which will also remove the center dash, You can run the wire right down into the dash and to the fusebox and hard wire it.

Also If you have tinted windows that use the metalized High Performance tint I have seen tests that It makes the radar detector barely function. I was planning on buying one, But I have the High performance Tint...(Kills the signal)
I would still get one though...
Yes, the metallic tint will reduce the strength of the signal IF the signal comes from behind the car-meaning the cop is right behind you with the radar gun on, but since most of the time the cops test cars that come at them and your windshield is not tinted-at least I hope not:D, the signal should be ok. The radar detector's range/sensitivity is reduced ONLY if you have one of those special windshields that has the metallic film inserted into the glass itself like certain GM minivans and large cars, Mercedes ML Class, etc. I have 35% metallic tint all around on my car and I can tell you my radar works fine when the cops are ahead of me and not behind, which happens most of the time anyway.
H.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thats a real good point....Alot of cops are park on the side of the road and it would work through the front windshield.

Ohh and My windshield is not tinted...

Thanks

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
I'll have to agree with Abstraxx on the placement of the radar detector. Five to six inches above the bottom of the winshield is the best place for sensitivity.
I read a big radar detector shootout years ago where they also experimented with different mounting points and they came up with the 5 to 6 six inch mounting spot, too.
If you get hit with the laser you're pretty much dead meat unless there were a bunch of other cars around you and you want to risk using that to figh the ticket.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's the big but (butt?) . Max radar sensitivity is achieved if the radar unit is high on the windshield, just below the tint area. If you are looking for Laser sensitivity the best place is at the bottom of the windshield near where they are aiming the laser. It may be that you would sacrifice a bit of radar sensitivity and put the RD low for laser or you may say laser is tough to beat anyway so you just want max radar, the choice is yours.

FWIW, I have my valentine one just below the RV mirror. The power cable is routed through the passenger leg area and up the side pillar and over to the center of the windshield. The V1 cabled fit perfectly going this route.

·
$11K til Pink Slip!
632 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Listen, sorry to burst the bubble, but in my opinion they are a waste of money. I cant count the amount of people I have bagged with a radar. I usually use a LIDAR and you dont have enough reaction time to stop. Plus if I get you coming out of a curve or over the crest of a hill, you dont have enough time before you can see me. The average LIDAR can clock at amax distance of 2000ft. If I see people infront of me speeding, I shut off my doppler radar and sneak up behind in the right lane in behind the passenger window, out of site from the rearview and side mirror. They are only good for city driving when the units are left on constantly.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Abstraxx said:

I wasn't referring of putting the actual radar detector there but utilized the power source from the center console! I did mentioned that radar detectors works best without obstructions and they are line of sight devices. Next time when you make a comment, make sure you read it thoroughly!

·
Registered
160 Posts
i was thinking of mounting my detector near my rear view and wiring it directly to my auto dimming mirror wires. how would you go about doing this? would there be a possibility of drawing too much power from the mirror? would i have to change the fuse?
any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
All Nissan, All The Time!
620 Posts
cablemn said:
i was thinking of mounting my detector near my rear view and wiring it directly to my auto dimming mirror wires. how would you go about doing this? would there be a possibility of drawing too much power from the mirror? would i have to change the fuse?
any thoughts would be appreciated.
On my Alty, that is what I did. Drop the interior light down and it will give you access to the wires. Use a multimeter to verify voltage/polarity. Another option would be to grab a 12v line going to your sunroof if so equiped.

I took my existing cable for the radar detector and cut it to length and after doing so verified polarity of the wires so to match them up properly. I went ahead and soldiered it in and then ran the wire under the plastic wire cover that goes from the headliner down to the rearview mirror. It would be a good idea to install an inline fuse to protect your wiring in the even to of a short.

PM me if you have any questions as it is a much neater way to go with less routing issues as you would have running it down to fuse box.

Cheers,

Volcano God

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's a novel idea (coming from a guy that has seen *way* too much aftermath from high-speed collisions as an EMT). DON'T SPEED! It does kill, I've seen it do so firsthand. If you made the choice to speed and you end up killing yourself, I hate to say it, but I don't see it as a tragedy. If you hurt or kill someone else, then it is one, because they had no say in what happened to them.

This is the same thing that happens with DUI accidents a lot in my experience. People think, oh, enough people do it that nothing bad will happen. Well, when we learn about prehospital trauma, they teach us that accidents happen when your ability to control your vehicle falls below the amount of resources needed to do so. This can happen if you're drunk (reduced reaction times and judgement), speeding (cannot react fast enough to avoid collision), tired (see drunk), on a cell phone (distracted), or in inclement weather (controlling the vehicle would require more than the laws of physics allow).

I'm not talking about doing 65 in a 55, because most people around here anyway do that regularly. And it seems most times that people aren't bagged for that unless they're driving unsafely or there's some other contributing factor. Having a detector to me seems to imply an attitude of "I can speed, because I'll know when to slow down so as not to get caught." That's missing the point. The reason you get bagged when you speed is as a deterrent to doing it at all, because it's dangerous to everyone else as well as yourself. How positive are you that you will be able to control your car at all times? It takes a fraction of a second to be in a fatal accident... the faster you're going, the shorter the time period. And it only takes one mistake.

[/rant]

·
VTEC & 5.0 owner :wtf:
417 Posts
I agree, and I'll believe the cop who has first hand experience. It also depends on the area you are driving through. A lot of smaller cities don't have LIDAR it seems, because in some areas I see a lot of K & KA bands, whereas others are primarily VG2 & Laser. I have been saved a couple times by my Cobra, but I don't think I can get away with murder because I have it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts