The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has an aftermarket radiator cap? And what kind? And what's the PSI at?

·
Deuce Four-CIB-OIF III
5,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what's the stock psi on a second gen altima...*lol...wait, i'll just go look on my car or in teh manual, duh*...ok...from what I understand...the higher the psi, the higher the boiling point is raised right? I know muscle cars and older cars you can run without a radiator cap in certain conditions...I take it where the temp is cooler. SO what would happen if we left our radiator cap? Would we overheat? Would the thermostat stick open? Or would it close...this shit confuses me...:D

·
they call me the butcher
1,975 Posts
im not sure but i think the altima is set at .8or .9 bar

i have the nismo one it looks nice i dont think i got any powr from it though

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
That's because you CAN'T GET ANY POWER FROM IT. All it does is raise the boiling point of the coolant. Which means your system could reach a higher temperature and pressure before boiling over (into the coolant overflow reservoir).
It won't make any power, but if you are doing something that is making your engine boil over too much (racing in the Baja?) it might be a useful mod.
Of course, if you dramatically raise the pressure in your cooling system, I make no guarantees for your radiator.

·
they call me the butcher
1,975 Posts
then the nismo one is for u
the thing looks sweet

·
Registered
28 Posts
I import these and other JDM Nismo parts. See the for sale forum.

The Nismo radiator cap is a heavy duty radiator cap, which operates at 18.2 lbs compared to 12.6 lbs (n/a) & 16.8 lbs. (turbo) stock.
Made for vehicles that need more cooling than the stock radiator cap provides.
Fits all models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So what's the stock psi on a second gen altima...lol...wait, i'll just go look on my car or in teh manual, duh...ok...from what I understand...the higher the psi, the higher the boiling point is raised right? I know muscle cars and older cars you can run without a radiator cap in certain conditions...I take it where the temp is cooler. SO what would happen if we left our radiator cap? Would we overheat? Would the thermostat stick open? Or would it close...this shit confuses me...:D
Cant run without a radiator cap at all you can in some cases run without a thermostat but not a cap
That's because you CAN'T GET ANY POWER FROM IT. All it does is raise the boiling point of the coolant. Which means your system could reach a higher temperature and pressure before boiling over (into the coolant overflow reservoir).
It won't make any power, but if you are doing something that is making your engine boil over too much (racing in the Baja?) it might be a useful mod.
Of course, if you dramatically raise the pressure in your cooling system, I make no guarantees for your radiator.
Lol I love it when they say they got more power from a radiator cap or oil cap

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.