The Nissan Club banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey tomd333, can you confirm that re-doing the ground contacts really is the long term fix? I have the same problem in an '09 with a BOSE non-nav head unit.

I started having this problem with my radio (non-BOSE) a few weeks ago. The LCD randomly dims and then brightens again. No other lights dim..just the LCD screen on the radio. Mine did it mainly when it was humid out. When the weather was more dry, it didn't do it at all.

I fixed it by removing the radio from the dash, and then separating the main part of the radio (the metal box part) from the plastic front faceplate with the LCD screen and buttons. There are 4 screws that hold the plastic faceplate to the actual radio itself. When you remove the plastic faceplate, you'll notice 2 metal contact pads on the faceplate circuitboard that apply pressure and touch the metal chassis of the radio. I think this is the ground for the faceplate circuitboard, which includes the LCD. I noticed some dark carbon buildup where the metal pads contact the radio chassis. I scraped off the carbon with a knife and roughed up the metal for better contact, and bent the metal pads a bit so they would apply more contact pressure, and then reassembled everything.

So far, it has not dimmed once over the past week, and the LCD digits even seem to form a little faster. When I did this procedure I also cleaned my battery terminals, but I don't think the battery terminals caused the problem. I could have just brought this in to the dealer, but this fix took 1 hr and I thought I'd give it a shot. I don't know if this will work for everyone but it seems to have fixed the issue in my case.

·
Common sense advocate
2,313 Posts
Hey tomd333, can you confirm that re-doing the ground contacts really is the long term fix? I have the same problem in an '09 with a BOSE non-nav head unit.
You should try private messaging him. He hasn't been active in about 5 months, and he might not be subscribed to this thread.

Moving this to the car audio forum.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi... well, the fix I described earlier in the thread worked for about a year, then it started to dim and flicker again. So, I removed the radio, disassembled it again and cleaned the contacts, and it has been working ever since. No flickering to this day. I am not sure if the BOSE unit has these grounding contact points, but I would assume it does since both radios look similar.

If you really wanted to fix this contact issue once and for all, you could put some kind of conductive grease between the contacts, that might prevent the carbon buildup or whatever it is that builds up and ruins the ground connection over time.

I know in my case, cleaning the ground contacts of the faceplate part fixed it.. hopefully it's the same issue for everone.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi... well, the fix I described earlier in the thread worked for about a year, then it started to dim and flicker again. So, I removed the radio, disassembled it again and cleaned the contacts, and it has been working ever since. No flickering to this day. I am not sure if the BOSE unit has these grounding contact points, but I would assume it does since both radios look similar.

If you really wanted to fix this contact issue once and for all, you could put some kind of conductive grease between the contacts, that might prevent the carbon buildup or whatever it is that builds up and ruins the ground connection over time.

I know in my case, cleaning the ground contacts of the faceplate part fixed it.. hopefully it's the same issue for everone.
Hey Tom, thanks for your reply. I'll give it a shot the next time my radio's display acts up. It self corrected but from what you're saying it's just a matter of time before it does it again.

·
Certified g33k
392 Posts
I actually had this same problem as well. I had to actually record it with my phone because the stealership kept giving me the run around. I waited about 4-5 months to get a new stereo which I then replaced with an aftermarket radio. I still have the semi-new stereo in my spare room. From what I was told it was a known bad batch from the stereo manufacturer. I had the regular stereo setup no bose/screen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Tom, thanks for your reply. I'll give it a shot the next time my radio's display acts up. It self corrected but from what you're saying it's just a matter of time before it does it again.
No problem. One thing I noticed when I was having the issue is it would happen on really hot days, or really humid days. Kind of makes sense as the extra humidity was probably the little extra push it needed to lose contact and start flickering. When it was flickering, I used to be able to apply pressure to the front of the radio (like above the station preset buttons) and the flickering would stop. That's how I knew it was a connection problem within the radio and probably fixable. I could have taken it to the dealership, but if there is a way I can fix something myself in a short time, it saves a lot of hassle. Good luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well... My radio's display was working OK for a while but it started acting up again with the same symptoms along with a new problem: the TUNE and SEEK rocker buttons don't work at all. I've been able to bring the button function back by pressing / tapping around the display's perimeter. Have any of you had problems with the buttons along with a fading display? Are the problems related in any way? (I've been procrastinating on pulling the head unit but it looks like I'll have to go ahead and do it.)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
so this happens with the factory radio??

·
Certified g33k
392 Posts
Yes it does I waited three months to get a replacement stereo from the dealership. Third day after having it in my car I went with a aftermarket stereo. I still have the stock one in my room. I don't recall anything happening with the buttons since I used the steering wheel controls all the time.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes, it's the "premium" BOSE OEM radio.

The fading display is a nuisance but having the SEEK and TUNE buttons go out is a real PITA. When those controls don't work you're limited to the preset radio station / satellite channel settings.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah that's weird about the buttons actually not working. I didn't have that problem on my stereo (non BOSE). I just had the fading and flickering display issue that I fixed with my procedure above. This was just about the time time of year when it would start.. when it got really hot and humid. You might want to pull the head unit and take off the front face plate and disconnect/reconnect any ribbon plugs or anything that could be experiencing issues due to a poor connection.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts