The Nissan Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The non-nav radio in my 2013 Altima 3.5 SL has several times recently changed the station without me touching any of the controls on the radio itself or the sterring wheel controls. Believe me I touched nothing and the station I was listening to suddenly changed to an unused frequency resulting in just static.

At first I thought I must have acciently touched the button on the streeing wheel but after it's happened several times recently I know I've nothing to cause the stations to change.

Has anyone else experienced this strange radio event?

Thanks,
R

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
No. Couple of questions for you:

-do the presets get wiped out when this happens
-does it always change to the same channel of static
-does it always change by 0.2Mhz up or down
-when it happens, were you turning the wheel (even a little bit)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-do the presets get wiped out when this happens NO
-does it always change to the same channel of static YES
-does it always change by 0.2Mhz up or down YES
-when it happens, were you turning the wheel (even a little bit) YES, I ASSUME SO SINCE I"M DRIVING

·
6,365 Posts
Ok what frequency does it always tune to when this happens? It is unclear from above if it is always current channel plus or minus 0.2MHZ or if it always changes to something like 87.9.

The answer to Q3 above should be "up" or "down" and not "yes", and I assume that your answer to Q2 above ("yes") isn't always the same frequency.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The last times I was listening to 670 AM and it changed to either 650 or 640 AM. To be honest I didn't pay too much attention. I do know that it went to a slightly lower frequency number.

·
6,365 Posts
Ok, need to know which radio unit you have, base, BOSE, NAV.

However, for most '13+ HU's the BT is integrated, and so the only external input is from the steering wheel switches, and in the case below, those signals go via your combo meter (speedo/tach assy) and then to your radio HU.

Debug is messy as getting to your combo meter is nasty. My recommendation would be to open up the steering wheel covers with the switches and disconnect them from the 'clockspring' wiring assembly. Test like this for 1-2 weeks and see if the problem recurs. If it doesn't, replace the steering wheel switch inserts. If it doesn't, IMHO it will be a toss up between the clockspring harness and the switches on the faceplate of the radio HU.

Isn't your car under warranty? I would try the dealer first.

If that's not an option, you can use a multimeter to measure the resistance of the steering switches per the FSM, that's a relatively simple test.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Bose non-nav radio (w/4" or 5" diagonal screen).

But to honest I'm really not too keen on trying to fix it or check it out myself because I think it's beyond my expertise.

Thanks,
R

·
6,365 Posts
I think you can remove the steering wheel switch inserts with nothing much more than a philips screwdriver. They are the cheapest part, subject to the most abuse and so most likely to fail. At least you'd know.

FYI the FSM excerpts below seem to indicate you need to remove the wheel from the column...couldn't say without seeing one up close.

EDIT you do have to pull the wheel off the column to remove the back plastic cover to get access to the screws...yay Nissan :(

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
I think it's beyond my expertise.
Having the desire to checks things out on this site is enough for me to disagree with your statement. If you are physically capable of driving a car (not too much of an assumption on my part) you can handle what d0ugmac1 proposed and potentially save yourself some cash.

May want to disconnect the negative from the battery first.

·
6,365 Posts
Since the wheel needs to come off...a minimum of a torque wrench and a bearing puller are needed in addition to that Phillips driver... I can understand someone not wanting to mess around with airbags (absolutely must disconnect both battery cables and wait 5minutes before disconnecting anything airbag related!) never mind the bolt that attaches the steering wheel to the car :)

·
6,365 Posts
Last thought...it's not a horrically expensive part...and it shouldn't be more than an hour's work at the dealer...so probably cost you less than $150 to switch out the switches.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it keeps happening I'll deal with it. I never change the stations using the button on the steering wheel anyway. I just press the buttons on the radio.

It's just another Nissan annoyance. (Seat heaters, passenger air bag sensor, CVT shudder, rust forming near rear camera and on and on)...... This will be my one and only Nissan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts