The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have horrible radio reception. i cant remember if it was this bad when i installed my first aftermarket deck but its been like this for awhile now. i installed a d3 hopin the prob would go away but it still hasnt.

does anyone else have this prob? can anyone tell me any solutions (and yes the antenna is hooked up).

any help would be great, thnx

·
20s because size matters
1,183 Posts
I have horrible reception also. I have the stock headunit. I do notice that when my H headlights are on it gets a lil worse and if the HID Fogs and headlights are one. Well forget it. Pop a cd in. Not sure why it does it but it does.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
OK so you plugged in the antenna... but just want to make sure you also plugged in the blue wire, which is for antenna power? We have a small signal booster but it has to be plugged in, blue to blue on the deck.

Made that mistake before... and could get like 3 stations without it. Once I plugged it in, I get not "great" but very satisfactory reception, even on HD Radio stations.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea the reception was never really great but when i put my hids on it gets even worse (i was told there was some kind of filter adapter for the ballasts that would fix that though). it sux not bein able to use the radio n always havin to listen to my ipod b/c after awhile of hearin the same songs they get old.

yea the blue antenna (booster) wire is hooked up.

any other suggestions/reasons?
thnx for the help so far guys

·
It is what it is
1,097 Posts
I haven't heard of this problem after the power antenna wire is connected properly. I have not seen signal loss after the installation of my HID lights either (EDIT: didn't see a boost in signal with my homemade ground kit though either). Hopefully other uses can chime in and see if they have any problems.

On the topic of radio.. I think the radio gets old much quicker than my iPod would any day. When I hear the radio playing something I could listen to more than once, I just go view their playlist online and download the song, add it to a MP3/ACC CD or put it on the iPod. Commercial free.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea but its nice to listen to the radio for awhile then switch over to the ipod if it gets old. id just like to have it workin right since it should be (plus i like listenin to some of the talk shows i the mornin).

·
Got Gas? Me Neither!
949 Posts
stock bose radio works great for me, then I turn on defrost and recpetion goes to hell. Just started doing that

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea mines does the same w/ the defrost to. my dads altima doesnt have the reception problem.

·
I'm so old school
1,625 Posts
When you guys are installing your aftermarket head units, are you attaching your radio's ground to the one off of the vehicle's wiring harness? If yes, that very well could be your problem. When I install radios in any Nissan vehicle, I do not use the factory supplied ground wire to avoid potential popping noise and static problems.

Nissan loves to ground for the radio through the vehicle's antenna ground, and it has a tendency to develop a ground loop. When a given device is turned on, the ground loop interference becomes great enough to affect the operation of the antenna from doing it's job properly. You could also end up with popping noises when you turn on/off switches or hit the brakes and the like if the connection is really bad. You may want to try attaching the ground from the radio to a better ground in the car. I can even imagine stock head units could benefit from this also if interference is a major issue. My Pioneer HU is grounded to the metal support bar that runs behind the radio. 02-04's have this bar, not sure about the 05-06's. Have yet to take apart a 4th gen Alti.

On a scale of 1 to 10, my FM reception is about a 9. The Bose radio had better FM reception than my Pioneer, but it picks up what I need it to when I need it, and the CD's take over from there.

Reactions: Soulfresh15

·
Super Moderator
4,952 Posts
I have horrible reception also. I have the stock headunit. I do notice that when my H headlights are on it gets a lil worse and if the HID Fogs and headlights are one. Well forget it. Pop a cd in. Not sure why it does it but it does.
My reception blows too. I have the Bose system. I've heard that lots of Altimas are like that. The other Alti has the regular factory unit. That one is a tad better. Just a tad though...

Must be the in-glass antenna.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My reception blows too. I have the Bose system. I've heard that lots of Altimas are like that. The other Alti has the regular factory unit. That one is a tad better. Just a tad though...

yea im starting to believe thats the problem too

·
20s because size matters
1,183 Posts

I know it is in the glass. Just not sure which line in the window is the antenna. I have a Stock H/U that is non-bose. It sucks not being able to listen to the radio. Bad enough that I drive through the valley here in CT.

When you guys are installing your aftermarket head units, are you attaching your radio's ground to the one off of the vehicle's wiring harness? If yes, that very well could be your problem. When I install radios in any Nissan vehicle, I do not use the factory supplied ground wire to avoid potential popping noise and static problems.

Nissan loves to ground for the radio through the vehicle's antenna ground, and it has a tendency to develop a ground loop. When a given device is turned on, the ground loop interference becomes great enough to affect the operation of the antenna from doing it's job properly. You could also end up with popping noises when you turn on/off switches or hit the brakes and the like if the connection is really bad. You may want to try attaching the ground from the radio to a better ground in the car. I can even imagine stock head units could benefit from this also if interference is a major issue. My Pioneer HU is grounded to the metal support bar that runs behind the radio. 02-04's have this bar, not sure about the 05-06's. Have yet to take apart a 4th gen Alti.

On a scale of 1 to 10, my FM reception is about a 9. The Bose radio had better FM reception than my Pioneer, but it picks up what I need it to when I need it, and the CD's take over from there.
Curious. Do you have HIDs? Are you unaffected if you do? I will have to try the ground thing, but not gonna pull the dash till I get a aftermarket H/U.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've noticed some static as well. I mostly listen to cd's so it doesn't bother me either, but still, it shouldn't be like that.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i dont listen to AM so im not sure if thats better but doubtful. yea it sux not bein able to use the radio when i want to

·
Banned
3,513 Posts
You guys must either live a poor area for radio signals or you did something wrong during your HU installs.
I have a Pioneer HU and while the reception isn't top notch it's not horrible, either.
There is no difference in radio reception with my aftermarket HIDs on or off.
I grounded my radio to the metal bar at the rear of the radio compartment.

I do not have a line filter on the power lead going into the radio or my amp.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well it cant be that i live in a poor radio signal area b/c my dads altimas reception is perfect n my moms murano doesnt have any probs w/ it either

1 - 20 of 57 Posts