The Nissan Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
My little champion...
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THE SPEED SENSITIVE VOLUME FEATURE

Well here I am reversing the car - the volume goes down by itself till I can't hear anything... I turn it back up.

As if that wasn't enough I get on the road driving at about 35-40mph and the VOLUME starts going up - and then it goes down within seconds. I can actually see the VOL display on the radio changing...

I am at a light - waiting for it to turn green. The volume starts to increase and decrease while I am waiting on the light...

I start to get the feeling that someone is just around me following my car - with a little remote control that has the same frequency of those buttons... Very eerie...

It happens again later - by this time I'm pissed off and just turn the radio off...

·
Snow White 3.5 SE
95 Posts
Easy to fix!

just take it to your dealer and have them replace your radio. beauty of warranty. :D

·
Moderate User
72 Posts
I've observed the same problem, though infrequently, and never from audible to completely inaudible. Usually I'm on the freeway and the volume indicator flickers 1 or 2 notches. Not enough to annoy me and take it back to the dealer.

Lemme know if you do and what's the cause/fix... Thanks!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Pesky Radio...!

Man, I thought I was the only one on this forum
with this problem!
Let me preface by saying that I do not have the
speed sensitive volume control.
It happened to me for about a week when the
the temp. dropped below freezing back in February.
I called the dealership & they ordered a replacement
stereo sight unseen!
In Texas It doesn't stay below freezing that long and
after that week, the Gremlin seemed to have gone away!
I blamed it on cold weather. Well, since it hasn't come
back I have not found the motivation/time to go to
the dealership to get the replacement. Perhaps at the
next oil change. I'll let ya'll know what they say it was...

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is probably one of two things, or possibly both.

1) you've touched the steering wheel volume controls without knowing it. Most likely when backing up and not looking at the wheel.

2) condensation shorting the steering wheel volume control buttons. Been wet and/or cold there? If so, wait until a warm dry day and leave the car windows open a bit to let interior moisture out. If the problem goes away when the weather gets warmer/more dry, then #2 is the culptrit.

A last remote possibility would be that you've gotten some grime into the steering wheel buttons and they are sticking/shorting.

Good luck getting rid of the problem. It would bother me too.

OpalBlue ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Wetness...

OpalBlue said:

1) you've touched the steering wheel volume controls without knowing it. Most likely when backing up and not looking at the wheel.

2) condensation shorting the steering wheel volume control buttons. Been wet and/or cold there? If so, wait until a warm dry day and leave the car windows open a bit to let interior moisture out. If the problem goes away when the weather gets warmer/more dry, then #2 is the culptrit.

A last remote possibility would be that you've gotten some grime into the steering wheel buttons and they are sticking/shorting.

OpalBlue ;)
My $$$ goes on culprit #2!

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Hot

OpalBlue said:

OpalBlue ;)
I was looking for the hot coffee explanation again here, you are slippin Opal. No matter what your weather conditions, this should not happen

·
Registered
22 Posts
It would be interesting to know if anything was different after you changed the amount of speeed sensitive volume compensation or turned it off. Might help you track down the problem.

Definitely annoying.

·
1,333 Posts
rao said:
It would be interesting to know if anything was different after you changed the amount of speeed sensitive volume compensation or turned it off. Might help you track down the problem.

Definitely annoying.
Yeah, I keep mine off and I haven't had any problems. Try that Kevin.

P.S. I have that CD when ever you need it. Just give me a call.

·
3.5L Rice Rocket
585 Posts
hahah.. this happened to my 3000gt years ago.. scared the shit outta me cause i have all the speakers hooked up to a 6 channel amp, and the radio just randomly ran itself all the up to full volume. maxxed out this thing could split your eardrums, I never listened to it past 1/4...

we figured it was condensation too, cause it was really humid out and my power windows were being retarded the same week.. rolling themselves down for no reason but to get itself wet. stupid car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same problem intermittently last year in a '02 3.5 SE w/speed volume feature. Shortly after the volume control issue started, the steering wheel column developed a very loud click that could be felt through the wheel. My dealer replaced the column, and the volume control issue disappeared. Coincidence?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.