The Nissan Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 1998 se-altima that I was given in April. After seven months of owning the car I’ve had no problems with it. Except, I’ve started to hear rattling noises from the front end, especially if I go over little bumps, pot holes etc. It’s never been in an accident. The dealer said that the rattling is a normal complaint of model year 1998+ altima owners. They said the rattling is from the front doors, they "loosen up". Make sense to anyone else? Suggestions?

·
10,373 Posts
I have a 98 and i get no rattling. The only rattling i *do* get is when the window is down a bit and the rear passenger side strut or shock makes a sqeek sound when it's cold out.

·
*Donating Member* Senior Member
1,987 Posts
yeah....for the last week my ride has been rattling too...sound like a piece of metal is loose under the car....on the driver side....close to the front, but not near the engine.....

·
stick shifter.
146 Posts
that's odd because I've got the same thing happening in my 93. It's only in the drivers side, and sounds like a piece of metal that's loose, exactly what System stated.

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,507 Posts
system_error_007 said:
yeah....for the last week my ride has been rattling too...sound like a piece of metal is loose under the car....on the driver side....close to the front, but not near the engine.....
cat heat shield

·
was up
2,392 Posts
system_error_007 said:
dude i have the same exact problem but its not the cat heatshield...comes more from under the engine. it does it whenever it feels like it too, at lower rpm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had similar problem in my 98, it was the front bumper, it got little loose and it rattled
The only rattling i *do* get is when the window is down a bit and the rear passenger side strut or shock makes a sqeek sound when it's cold out.
I have the same problem with the window and the strut, window pisses me of the most.

·
hard on equipment
714 Posts
I have a slight rattle, sounds like it's coming from under the front part of the dash. Used to only happen when I went over bumps, now it happens when I start the car, then when I go over certain types of bumps. I'm going to try removing the cat heatshield, and see if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a bunch of rattles in my car. One from the back passenger side (sounds almost like a hum) at certain low speeds. I also have one that sounds like a cat heat shield (I'll check it out later today). And theres one that's right around the driver's door. Anyone know some solutions?

·
hard on equipment
714 Posts
Well, one thing you can do, if it's under warranty, is take it to the dealership and see what they'll do about it.
The other option is to get your hands on a factory service manual or haynes manual, and start taking shit apart to see if you can figure out what's making the noise.

·
*Donating Member* Senior Member
1,987 Posts
what will be the downside of ripping off the heat shield?....damn thing is pissing me off....

oh...that rattling under the dash on the passanger side...that is a whole different story...I think there is a thread on how you can fix that problem...something to do with the air bag or something...

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
14,715 Posts
98 nissan alty said:
when i back out if my driveway the rear end of my 98 altima gxe makes a crunching sound i dont know what it is yet

any suggestions?
the paperboy's bike?

·
was up
2,392 Posts
Neegra said:

dude i have the same exact problem but its not the cat heatshield...comes more from under the engine. it does it whenever it feels like it too, at lower rpm.
anyone have this?? or know what it could be>

·
Registered
13 Posts
when i back out if my driveway the rear end of my 98 altima gxe makes a crunching sound i dont know what it is yet
If you have SE it might be the brake pads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts