401 - 420 of 444 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I only get 28 MPG with my 34,xxx miles 2.5L. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I drive mainly highway and usually get over 33 avg. But then sometimes I'm wringing its neck and going over 100 mph for quite some time. Pretty spirited engine. Computer cuts it off at 125 mph. if I drive it hard in town I have averaged 28 total with the hwy miles I drive to get home. Going on road trip in a couple months so I'm sure it will be high 30's. I'm very pleased with it so far. I was getting 17 in my last vehicle so this is just amazing mileage to me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Okay, all, some INTERESTING datapoints:

Vacation
Last month, I drove from Dahlonega, GA to New Smyrna Beach, FL on vacation. The ride was approximately 550 miles, starting from rolling hills at 1000' above sea level to flat (after a hundred miles). in short, about 550 miles of flat down hill. I had a yakima rack with pod on top of the car. My mpg for this leg of the trip was 47.5 mpg. Hell, I could have probably made it to Miami on one tank!

The trip back was just the opposite profile... mileage was about 30.5 mpg on the way back (still made it in one tank... on fumes!). Thus, total milage for this trip as appx 39 mpg.

pre/post new CVT

On my previous CVT, I was getting 34.5mpg. after my CVT died, they swapped it and did the various ecu programming upgrades. Afterwards, two things of importance:

1) My car now gets, on average, 32.5mpg. I lost a whole 2mpg (6%) gas mileage with this new CVT.
2) My dash displayed mpg now matches my computed mpg. Maybe they tweaked the algorithm to produce correct numbers now?

·
Registered
10 Posts
gas mileage

Hello,
I get 32-33 in mixed driving between highway, 45 MPH zones my average speed ends up being 38 or 39 MPH.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ever since I swapped the 16" wheels to 18" my gas mileage went down a little. Average now is 30.1 and this is the 2.5L

·
Registered
485 Posts
I get about 30-ish driving around town. Highway mileage varies with speed:

Flat at 60 mph - 39-40
Flat at 65-70 mph - 37-38
Flat at 75-80 mph - 35
Hills at 70-75 mph - 32-34

I got 35.7 on the trip computer and 34.6 hand calc on my last trip, and that was just driving back and forth to work (mostly highway with some stop and go). I've gotten 40 hand calc on road trips. It's a fantastic, comfortable, feature-rich, affordable, well-made vehicle.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,740 Posts
2009 3.5 6MT

28mpg 70mph light traffic, flat highway, low wind, dry, above zero (today)
18mpg givin' it around town (mix of city/hwy-incl rushhour) <--typical city avg.

Worst ever 16mpg lead footin' short trips below zero in snow.

(assumes 3.8L/US Gallon and 1.6km per mile)

·
Registered
57 Posts
D0ugmac1 mentioned the wind, yes the wind makes a big difference! Of course we can't do anything about the wind but it's interesting to see the difference. I have a 120 mile round trip commute 95 % highway I have been trying different speeds to see what happens. I noticed years ago that driving like I left my brain at home gets me to work about five minutes quicker, uses more fuel, brakes, rubber etc.
Anyway, the magic speed for my 2012 2.5 is 65 mph ......34 mpg, 600 miles per tank with about a half gallon remaining. I saw some post from a few years ago saying it can't be done, yep it can.

You have to drive like you have a load of explosives in the trunk &#55357;&#56832; VERY smooth. Any aggressive driving at all and your mpg has gone down the tubes. BTW 25 mph head wind 26 mpg, 25 mph tail wind 40 mpg (trip computer).

·
Certified Old Fart
7 Posts
Ever since I swapped the 16" wheels to 18" my gas mileage went down a little. Average now is 30.1 and this is the 2.5L
If the tire diameter in creased with the wheel change, that changes the tire circumference which in turn slows the speedo reading and miles driven. Get the speedo calibrated for the tires. Mileage might not be as bad as you think.

·
My Other Ride is Your Mom
86 Posts
I drive from north Chicago to southern IL and back just about every weekend. I'm between 29-31mph on the highway running between 75-80mph the whole way.

Around town, mileage is between 22 and 25mpg. I drive very leisurely though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't get more than 24 around town no matter how hard I try on my 13 2.5 SL. OEM alternator with a de-coupler will arrive tomorrow and I'll update this post once I put in the correct alternator (batch of 13 models were manufactured with the wrong alternator apparently). My friend who lives down the road, well I was in the right seat of his 2014 2.5 S yesterday and he was averaging close to 30 around town, and I wouldn't say he was even taking it easy on the gas pedal. Made me hate my car a little. Hope the alternator is the fix.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Average of 7.2 liter per 100 Kms or 39.2 miles per Imperial gallon

Just back from trip to Florida and return, 6,600 Kms in total, heavily loaded and 70+ mph the whole way. Amazing fuel economy with 2.5 SL. 3 tanks each way, computer says I can go over 1,000 Kms on a fillup.

7.2 liters per 100 Kms = 39.3 miles per imperial gallon or 32.7 miles per US gallon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm satisfied so far with ours (2015 Altima SV 2.5).

For example today we (my wife and I in the car) averaged 32mpg (so says the computer) for round trip (~60 miles each way) over the rocky mountains (lot of up and down hills) and some intown driving. 80mph is the speed limit, though some curves needed to be down to 55 or so...

·
Registered
53 Posts
2014 Altima SE 3.5. I get above 32 on the highway and approx. 23 in the city. I kept track of my gas receipts and checked my mileage over time but the computer was as accurate as my figures so I don't do that anymore. I get approx. 10% better mileage with premium than with regular.

·
Registered
41 Posts
MPG Improvement. Check your tire pressure.

Hello guys. I just bought S 2.5 and was getting 22mpg in the city with 40mpg on hwy when doing 60-65mph. Here is little hint for those that want to hit higher mpgs and are getting low 20s.
My tires were at 28psi when i bought it. That is way too low in order to get good mpgs. Your tires in order to get optimal mpgs need to be at least 38 psi and can go as high as your tire sideway max psi. Some good tires have 50psi max. Check yours first and test lower numbers like 38, 40, 42psi first, see how you like it and how car handles.
Good tires will do max psi and have no problem whatsoever and crap tires will have issues at max psi so keep that in mind too.
Mine are now set for 40psi fronts (max is 44psi) and 38psi back and car does now 30-26mpgs in city depending how i treat gas pedal too of course. At 38psi comfort is still there. In winter time i would not recommend anything over 38psi and comfortable psi would be 34 and lower. Also it's best to leave tire some head room for pot holes and when air expands in tire during driving which increases psi. So psi when pumping is cold psi number and that psi number will increase while driving by up to 2psi. 3-4psi lower then sidewall should be good.

Also optimal speed on highway is 50-55mph for best fuel economy as beyond 55mph the fuel consumption goes up exponentially. There are graphs on internet which show fuel consumption during specific mph, drag coefficient plays big role here so prius vs escallade matters a lot but altima has good drag coefficient. I've noticed that in altima up to 65mph it's ok but remember that's already over by 10mph from optimal fuel consumption. The lower the drag coefficient on given car the better or worst it will be with higher speeds. If you're doing 70-85mph don't expect good fuel economy. That defines aerodynamic law and if drag coefficient is higher then that fuel consumption goes even higher with more mph.

Other thing one can do is drain and fill tires with nitrogen and that will bump up mpgs again by 2-4mpgs. I have yet to do that but will do that at my next tire replacement which should be sometime in summer.

Advanced fuel economy Mobile1 synthetic oil will help also by up to 1mpg and its worth it as you can run 5000-7500 miles on it vs 3000 conventional oil

Next step can be to change tires to Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires which fruther helps in mpgs by 2-3mpg, Michelin Energy Savers are good. The trade off as there always is they don't grab as well in winter conditions, heavy rain, snow and ice. Read reviews on tires first. If you live in northeast keep that in mind as safety in more important then mpgs of course but if you live in arizona or cali then that's different story. If you poke around on cleanmpgs or other hypermiling forums those will be basics to get your mpgs up. Of course there are more tips like mods and driving techniques like driving behind semi in it's wind tunnel but i don't do that and i don't recommend that as that's not safe imo. Anyway hope this helps a bit. Tire psi is first and very basic step to do, rest you may or may not do, depending on your preference.

401 - 420 of 444 Posts