The Nissan Club banner

Real world gas mileage

97K views 443 replies 139 participants last post by  zero2sixtyin3 
#1 ·
Of the two reviews I've read, the gas mileage was significantly lower than the EPA estimates. But I can't tell how much of that difference is due to the reviewers flogging the car around for their tests.

What kind of mileage are owners getting and under what conditions?

#3 ·
Those numbers should not be Aiken seriously.

My Altima is supposed to avg 21mpg after the revised EPA standards but I'm averaging 23 and consider myself somewhat aggressive on the gas.

I had a rental maxima last month.. From Baltimore to dc then silver spring then dc then some other place by the ocean then back to Baltimore to the airport I filled up about 15 gallons and did a manual calculation and came out to 29MPG.
I think the fact that speed limits in the DC area are so low and cops being everywhere helped a lot.

#5 · (Edited)
I am averaging about 22mpg also in my 3.5 manual. And I am not light on the gas most of the time, but I do keep the instant MPG screen on the trip computer as my "home screen" to monitor myself when I feel like it.

This is what one reviewer got in MPG in both the 2.5 and the 3.5 (but based on the trip computer...):

"The four-cylinder Altima gets an EPA-estimated 27/38 mpg city/highway, and Nissan drilled the highway estimate into my brain by plastering the Tennessee drive route with 38s — including the side of a barn and a stack of hay bales. A look at the trip computer after a 50-mile leg on traffic-free country roads showed average gas mileage of 32.7 mpg. Not bad considering our spirited driving and passenger count, but the number seemed less impressive after observing the V-6's results.

The V-6 Altima's trip computer tallied 30.9 mpg over 50 miles of similar country roads — not the same route — right at its 31-mpg highway estimate. Our third occupant had departed by this point, so the car was a little less burdened than the four-cylinder sedan had been, but the quick pace was consistent with the earlier drive."

#7 ·
What disturbs me is that Car and Driver reported 26 MPG in mixed tests on the 2.5 and Edmunds reported 21.6 MPG on the 3.5 (but they pushed the car).

I'm hoping some 2013 owners can chime in with their real world mileage.

#10 ·
I just filled up with gas today (2.5SV). Drove 528 miles and pumped 17 gallons today. First fill up was done by the dealer so I dont know if they completely filled the tank before handing me the keys. Mostly freeway driving (80% Hwy, 20% city). Right now I am driving a bit catiously due to engine break in etc.

#8 ·
My thoughts after two tanks my 2013 3.5 SV.

With a mix of about 40%city/60% highway driving (metro area subject to rush hour), I've averaged about 23.3 miles per gallon. I think true mixed driving will spit out about 22-23 on average.

Not horrible... Highway mileage seems to shine. I think this will easily get 31 on the road.

#9 ·
I have a 2005 Frontier LE V-6 and I found that if I don't reset my trip computer every time I fill up it is pretty accurate. The only time I reset it now is when I take a trip so that I can get an accurate read for the trip.

I am currently averaging 18.6 mpg with a roughly 25% highway and 75% town driving. The trip computer is not very accurate on my truck after it is first reset until I have put on quite a few miles.

#14 ·
I almost went for the 3.5 but decided the 2.5 would be worth the slight sacrifice in smoothness and the significant sacrifice in power if, and ONLY if, it would return the rated mpg numbers. So far it looks to be coming in right at the EPA combined rating.

I'm a little skeptical of the 38 hwy number. The instantaneous display will only show this number on level road, no wind, and speeds of about 65-70 or less.

#16 ·
Mileage depends so much on several variables that are hard to pin down - I really don't think individual experience, unless it's averaged over a large population, is very useful.

bluemoon: your 90% big city driving is a lot different than my normal driving. I live just outside a big city so my city driving is in less congested conditions. And it's only about 30% or so of my total. Much is in semi rural hwy driving.

I'm only halfway through the second tank so there's the break in factor as well as the small sample size to consider. So, far the second tank is showing 34 mpg on the trip computer. The first tank the computer was 2 mpg over the actual tank mileage - but I didn't do the initial fill.

I'll keep careful records for a few thousand miles and will get a solid figure for my car and my driving style and report my findings.

My guess is that you probably won't get 30 in 90% big city traffic. The epa 27 is probably closer to what you could expect.

#17 ·
I'm sorry, I meant 30 if I had the 2.5. With the 3.5, I was hoping for a combined 24-25 and 32 on highway only trips. I haven't had a straight highway trip yet. I'm getting 22-23....I'd like an extra mile or two. It's about the same as my TL. But since it runs on regular gas I'm getting some savings there.

#22 · (Edited)
Put about another 100 miles today on the car - now over 900. I take it easy for the first few hundred miles for break in but now I'm beginning to lean on it a little more. Did a quick run up the interstate, about 50 miles at 70-80 mph. The car feels real sweet at these speeds. I've got 371 miles on the second tank; computer shows 34.7 avg mpg and estimates 260 miles to empty. Looks like 600 miles is gonna' happen.

This sort of fuel effeciency is due in large part to the CVT. It keeps the rpm very low most of the time and it's almost lugging the engine at speeds below about 60. But because it's a CVT, it can smoothly adjust the ratio and allow just a little more engine speed when called for. CVT haters will continue to bad mouth them but its a fact that they are more efficient AND faster than an old fashioned step gear auto trans.

#24 ·
Second fill up: 604 miles, 18.1 gal for 33.35 mpg average. Computer indicated 35.0 mpg. Distance to empty was 94 miles when low fuel warning came on and 14 miles when refilled. This refill was .1 gal more than the rated tank capacity! So be careful pushing it too far. The trip computer overestimated the actual tank mileage by about 1.6 mpg. About the same as the first tank.

This tank included no heavy city traffic. Maybe 25% light suburban traffic and the rest on rural highways at 60-65 mph and interstate at 70-80. I'm really pleased with the effeciency and the driving characteristics of this new Altima.

#27 ·
Do you reset your computer every fill up? On my Frontier if I go quite a few fill ups before I reset it the mileage calculation gets pretty accurate.

#25 · (Edited)
Sounds GREAT! Looks like it really may come close to the 38 MPG on a 100% HWY road trip tank.

Looks like the tank may actually be larger than 18 gals if the computer was still showing 14 miles left and you put in 18.1 gallons... unless the pump counter was off... which means your MPG number could actually be better than the 33.35 you calculated.

#26 ·
I'm a little perplexed by the overfill also. The pump calibration was checked about 3 months ago and was within tolerance (+/- 3%). I usually use the same pump and park in the exact same place each time to minimize variance. Still need to do at least 5-10 more fill ups to get a clear picture. Plus with only 1150 miles on the car, it may continue to improve as it breaks in more.

#29 ·
Did my 3rd fillup this morning (only 3 tanks with 1700 miles on the car!) I went 531 miles on 16.39 gal for a computed 32.4 mpg. The trip computer, again, was showing more - 33.5. But it was closer than the first two tanks.

I drove more aggressively this tank as the car had sufficient break in miles to do some "performance testing". But much of the driving was a mix of moderate suburban traffic and hwy at 65-75mph. I'd guess about 70-75% was hwy.

I feel I'll easily be able to average 32-33 mpg with the type of driving I mostly do. Not sure what 100% hwy would do but if not driven too hard, the 38mpg might be attainable.

#33 ·
I'm quite pleased with my mileage. But it hasnt included any heavy, city traffic. I'd imagine that would pull it down a good bit.

Nonetheless, it's apparent to me that this is a very efficient car. Considering it's room, performance, and ride it's really impressive what it can do with a gallon of gas.

#31 · (Edited)
2013 Altima

Captain's log. Star date Aug 7,2013. (I'm not a trekkie but couldn't resist)
Stealership delivered it to me. they drove 100+ miles.
Driver reset computer in mid trip doing 72MPH for a distance of 60 miles yielded a computer readout of 46 (I think, perhaps 43) If this gets 40MPG on pure highway I would be ecstatic.

Evan
need to get this into my profile:
2013 Altima SV basic
(wish they had the Convenience and Nav package.. the closest they could find, in my color, was 300 miles away)

#32 ·
Measure at the pump for a true calculation. Relying on a computer that is always optimistic is a waste of time. Looks like good old math is failing and the calculator is always winning even if in this case it is clearly wrong.

Captain's log. Star date July 7,2013. (I'm not a trekkie but couldn't resist)
Stealership delivered it to me. they drove 100+ miles.
Driver reset computer in mid trip doing 72MPH for a distance of 60 miles yielded a computer readout of 46 (I think, perhaps 43) If this gets 40MPG on pure highway I would be ecstatic.

Evan
need to get this into my profile:
2013 Altima SV basic
(wish they had the Convenience and Nav package.. the closest they could find, in my color, was 300 miles away)

#34 ·
2013 Altima 2.5 SV
on first tank of gas still... I just filled up after 141 miles. it took 3.5 gals. equals 40mpg. :love:
I plan to put on over 200 miles tomorrow. :shift: So I will fill up after that trip to see what I get with mixed country highway. (two & four lanes) with rolling hills for 25% of the trip.

Evan

#36 · (Edited)
Ok I just logged 214 miles today. mostly country highway. mix driving on the highway. cruise and no cruise. dry road and raining for 10-20 minutes with occasional downpours. Appx 10 miles of city driving. Occasion stops signs and traffic lights on parts of the highway. AC on 75% of the time.

At time of fill-up -- car computer said 38.5mpg, averaged 47mph, 214 miles driven, 4 hours 30 minutes.
I filled up with 4.993 gallons which would equal 42.86mpg.:woot:
here is a head scratcher-- computer is lower than actual.
Car now says I have 658 until empty.:love:
one important note: I filled up at a different gas station but I did put the pump on the lowest pump speed. (my theory is more gas will go in before auto shut-off is triggered.)

Next report will be after I go through a full tank of gas.

#37 ·
Ok I just logged 214 miles today. mostly country highway. mix driving on the highway. cruise and no cruise. dry road and raining for 10-20 minutes with occasional downpours. Appx 10 miles of city driving. Occasion stops signs and traffic lights on parts of the highway.

At time of fill-up -- car computer said 38.5mpg, averaged 47mph, 214 miles driven, 4 hours 30 minutes.
I filled up with 4.993 gallons which would equal 42.86mpg.:woot:
here is a head scratcher-- computer is lower than actual.
Car now says I have 658 until empty.:love:
one important note: I filled up at a different gas station but I did put the pump on the lowest pump speed. (my theory is more gas will go in before auto shut-off is triggered.)

Next report will be after I go through a full tank of gas.
Thanks for the info. Very impressive. Can't wait to get mine.
Was the air conditioner on?

#38 ·
I wouldn't put too much confidence in a single fillup of only 5 gal. You'll need several full tank fillups, preferably at the same pump to get a very accurate reading. I do two more cutoffs, after the initial one, to top up the tank. That's been adding .3 to .5 gal. I'm not trying to "pack it". Just get it to the same consistent point.

Nonetheless, it's pretty clear that the potential is there for meeting the EPA rating in normal highway driving. With 1700 miles on my car, it's exceeding the EPA combined by about 1.5 mpg with my mixed driving.

#39 ·
Yeah, I wouldn't put too much into that calculation on such a small fill up. I'm almost positive it didn't completely fill the tank (its happened to me many times, got a 32 mpg in my V6... I know theres no way when it wasn't hwy driving). In that case i would say the computer was probably closer to the actual number. I would say do a whole tank of highway to see what it can really do.

dbs, I do the same two clicks when I fill up also. Something very satisfying about it. lol

#40 ·
I am a one click auto-shut off kinda guy. I don't want to over fill for fear of throwing a code. Honda was famous for this.

yeah, my next plan is to use up the tank... plan to fill up when there is about 80 miles left ~ 2 gallons left. (I hate to go below 2 gallons-- my GMC will stall on hills if I get too low)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.