The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear coil spring broke on 2007 Altima with 99K EZ miles (and no related incident) -see attached pic.
Have put a lot more miles on many cars, never had this happen.

Are broken coil springs common on Altimas?

THANKS

·
Registered
241 Posts
WHOA!

Guess you need to do some shopping? Try and find a reputable seller and ask lots of questions of where the springs are made. Brittle steel as this looks to be indicated it was a manufacturing issue?

Here is a place to start your shopping
https://www.ebay.com/b/Coil-Springs-for-2007-Nissan-Altima/33582/bn_92947897

Moog has always been a good company for suspension parts... https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/category/nissan_altima/rear-coil-springs

But also talk to local Auto Parts guys about which mfg they have the least issues with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Altima goes to the shop Mon-
don't have time or inclination to change out coil springs (will replace both)
and they are reasonable.

Main goal:
Share with forum to determine if common problem -obviously a safety concern, and suspect most wouldn't expect this.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bump
No feedback/perspective on broken coil spring in Altimas?
Any similar experience?
Is this common?
Thanks.
I have seen this on other makes and models of cars... Can't say about common to Nissans.

If a man makes it it is bound to fail for somebody someday
:crying

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rich-
Drove several cars way beyond the 99K EZ miles on this one -never had a broken coil spring.
Could see a broken spring result from hard use, impact, very high miles or all 3-but none apply here.
Therefore unexpected.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Automotive Compression Springs -- Failures

Thanks Rich-
Drove several cars way beyond the 99K EZ miles on this one -never had a broken coil spring.
Could see a broken spring result from hard use, impact, very high miles or all 3-but none apply here.
Therefore unexpected.
I understand... springs are under high tension constantly. Any defect in the metal (metalurgy composition) make cause a weakness at any point in the coil. Coil Springs can be made either under heat or cold rolled.

Compression springs are the most common spring configuration and are found in many applications such as automotive, aerospace and consumer goods.

Here is a good article: https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-long-do-suspension-springs-last

PS: I have seen this first hand where the spring fractured and punctured the tire as described here: "Some vehicles have a long history of snapping coil springs. This is a dangerous situation depending on the position of the break in the spring. Because coil springs are positioned near the tire, it is not all that uncommon for a broken coil spring to puncture or rub against the sidewall of a tire and cause a flat; or worse, a blowout."
Link: https://itstillruns.com/do-replace-coil-springs-car-5763835.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any defect in the metal (metalurgy composition) make cause a weakness at any point in the coil.
I have seen this first hand where the spring fractured and punctured the tire

Apparently just my luck-
Based on no responses regarding similar experience, Altima coil spring failures are not a common problem from a possible mfg issue.
Good for safety of fellow Altima owners!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have replaced lots of broken coil springs. Mostly on fords. But also on nissans, gm, dodge, Honda, ext, ext.

Springs can and do break, but not super common on a Nissan. You might have got a flawed one or maybe a small pebble got lodged in the right spot in the tight end of the coil and rubbed a hole through the corrosion coating years ago...now the rust finally showed you what it can do.

It's most likely the rust thing.

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
259 Posts
Any defect in the metal (metalurgy composition) make cause a weakness at any point in the coil.
I have seen this first hand where the spring fractured and punctured the tire

Apparently just my luck-
Based on no responses regarding similar experience, Altima coil spring failures are not a common problem from a possible mfg issue.
Good for safety of fellow Altima owners!
I don't think it's all that common, but I changed out the front strut-coils of my '08 because of a broken front drivers's side spring. It broke in the first loop at the bottom, and when it broke, the piece stayed in place on the seat spring. This is my wife's daily driver and the area where she works has had washboard roads for several years due to major construction projects, so that probably sped it up. Happened at around 90000 miles, about 1 year ago. A friend of mine had a Passat wagon and changed the fronts as one broke, then the other a couple of months after. Not sure of mileage, but probably more like 120000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think it's all that common, but I changed out the front strut-coils of my '08 because of a broken front drivers's side spring. It broke in the first loop at the bottom, and when it broke, the piece stayed in place on the seat spring. This is my wife's daily driver and the area where she works has had washboard roads for several years due to major construction projects, so that probably sped it up. Happened at around 90000 miles, about 1 year ago. A friend of mine had a Passat wagon and changed the fronts as one broke, then the other a couple of months after. Not sure of mileage, but probably more like 120000 miles.
Turns out same problem as your '08 - shop found it was a FRONT coil spring on my '07 Altima (99K mi).
Wife said she'd heard abnormal sounds from back of car before the broken piece dropped in the road, therefore assumed was rear spring.
Shop didn't recall changing Altima rear coil springs, but have done the front ones so checked them first.
New struts/coils on front. Rear coil would have saved $ :frown!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear coil spring broke on 2007 Altima with 99K EZ miles (and no related incident) -see attached pic.

THANKS
I just found out that both of the rear springs are broken on my 2012 Altima. Less than 60,000 miles. I will call Nissan.

·
Registered
1 Posts

THANKS
Yep. Same issue. 2008 82k easy miles rear springs broken

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's not unusual now to break springs. They break easier because they are using thinner wire to make them to be lighter. The difference as well between a spring that fractures from too brittle and making it a spring is so close anyway, spring metal is naturally more brittle.

I've seen a LOT more cars breaking springs now. All brands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts