The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1997 200SX base 5-speed
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if any "SE" models that still have the 1.6L engine ever came with rear disk brakes. Mine is a base model with drums. I am in need of a parts car for several things both mechanically and cosmetically. However I am interested in in swapping over the complete brake system from a disk car. Would it have to come from an SE-R with the SR20 or did some 1.6L cars come with them too (like the SE models)? If I could get a 1.6L car with disk brakes in the rear it would give me everything I need. Just not sure if any ever came with rear disk. I won't be buying an SR20 car just for it's brakes though.

· Registered
1997 200SX base 5-speed
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still in search of a parts car with rear disk brakes if anyone sees this. Interested in doing the rear drum to disk conversion and the AD22VF big brake kit for the fronts. Also wouldn't mind having a spare engine and trans for it if anything ever goes bad. Need a few body trim and interior pieces too. So ideally a black B14 200sx 1.6L 5-speed.

· Registered
11 Posts
I've done both of these mods and its well worth it. The larger front disks wont warp nearly as easy as the stock ones.
I got my rear end from an SE with 2.0. My lord man it was the easiest mod I've ever done. Rear brakes anyway. Its only a few bolts, like 4?, to pull the rear end. The one from the 2.0 with bolt right in. The front brakes you will have to use an angle grinder on the caliper to get it to clear the front wheels as well as you may have to trim some of the metal dust deflector off. Do yourself a favor and get steel braided lines for all four brakes. This improves the firmness. All of my front brake parts including the master cylinder I got brand new from ROckAuto. I hated my rear drum brakes. Always clunking and could not get them to stop no matter how many new parts I put in them.

· Registered
3,601 Posts
Not likely to find rear discs on a 1.6 engine as the base model engine is too small and rear discs only come on more deluxe models with bigger engines.

I'm no expert but generally the way options work.

· Registered
1997 200SX base 5-speed
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I've been curious about. Bookel says he got rear disk off an SE, but with the 2.0L. I was under the impression that the base and SE were only 1.6L and only the SE-R was 2.0L. Guess the SE could be either sounds like. And I'm sure it is likely true that the rear disk would likely only be on the 2.0L cars. I'd like to snag the setup off of one if possible. I always have noise from my drums too even after working with them a lot.

· Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, Yes it was an SE-R. Im fairly sure all others came with 1.6. I swiped the white faced gauges while I was in there too. Man this was in 2009ish This 2.0 cars were sort of rare then and when I was in the junkyard I was looking for something completely different for my car and accidentally found the 2.0 with the rear disks. I went to work quick and got what I wanted.
I'll keep an eye out.
I heard rumour some of these came with limited slip manual transmissions. Is this true? Mine runs great but the real handicap is its traction. I swear it would get stuck on a banana peel.

· Registered
1997 200SX base 5-speed
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LSD would be nice for sure. I’m putting one in my truck at the moment. Have one in my GS300 too. All about LSD’s, but I don’t think this car is worth it. At least not the 1.6L. I’d like rear disk for several reasons though, and the cost and easy labor would be well worth it if I can find a donar car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts