The Nissan Club banner

Rear Drum To Rear Disc?

881 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kenshi 
#1 ·
Is there a way I can change my 98 altima with rear drum to rear disc? I tried downloading the previous posted info, but I get an error message. Has anyone done this? How much does it cost and how do they wear and feel? Thanks

#5 ·
sorry, don't do a search, but do read the newbie instructions. And yes Kenshi, my foot does taste good in my mouth :D That's what happens when I try to be a dick this early in the morning.

#6 ·
OZ, let me take a shot at his. The reason no one does it is that you pretty much need the whole rear suspension - Control arms, hubs, complete master cylinder, etc in addition to the discs, rotors pads etc. You need the rear suspension parts because the mounting for the disc and calipers is very different when compared to the drum setup. Now if your're a really great mechanic, have access to a donor car then go for it. If you have to pay someone to do it, its just gets outragously expensive. And unless you road race (legal racing on a track) you wouldn't see much of a benefit on the street anyway. There was a really good article about brakes in Grassroots Motorsports not long ago. The bottom line is that brakes don't stop a car, the tires do (see they're scientific explanation). Therefore, really good tires can make even an average braking system work so much better. I recommend that you get the best pads and shoes available, add some good tires, make sure your struts are fresh and you'll end up with much better than average braking for a whole lot less money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.