The Nissan Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it is not a geeky question but here it goes anyway :D

I have trouble installing a rear-facing child seat in the 2002 Alty. I install it and everything but then in few days - it is all very unstable and rocks pretty bad left-right. I adjusted it few times, put some towels on the sides under the seat to make it more stable etc - but in few days it is all back again.

I had no problems with the same seat in my previous car - of course they are all different but...

Anyone else had the same problem? It is almost as if the back seat is too soft or something in the middle (installing it rear-facing in the middle position). I guess I will go back to play with it tomorrow, try something new but just wondered if anyone else ran into this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
car seat

I had the same problem. What I did was pull the seat belt all the way out and try to feed it through the carseat. once I got it buckled, I adjsuted it so that the part that would normally go over the lap is as tight as possible. I then pinch the belt with my fingers about an inch from the latch. You dont want the shoulder part of the belt going back into the opening by the rear deck yet. Once you have them pinched together like a vise, use an "H" clip that usually comes with the carseat. It takes some work, but you should be able to put the clip about an inch from the latch and that should keep the belt from making the carseat tip. You can then let go of the shoulder belt and let it lock. It shouldnt move much then because the lap part of the belt and the H clip should keep the shoulder belt from retracting. Hope that made sense. It's nice now that my son can sit forward. So much easier...

·
Registered
82 Posts
First, tell me, are you using a seat that has a base that stays in the car when the carrier comes out, or is it all one big piece?
Also, tell me what brand and model and I will go from there.
Greg
(3 kids, been there, done that, 3 times)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I use...

Century Accel DX 5-point harness infant/toddler seat (model 45200). So there is no base and baby carrier part, just a one big thing.

I used the H clip to secure the seat belt (and when I was securing it, I practically sat into the seat myself to make it extra tight). The seat is really secure and looks good as far as front-back motion goes but it seems like after I put my son in it few times, it starts rocking left-right a bit too much if you push it.

Thanks for any tips on this! Ford that I had before had harder back seat and I had no problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
well, in that case since its one piece...
i used some short pine 2x2s, notched in the appropriate place for the bottom of the seat to drop into a "groove".
It provided a solid surface for the seat to sit on.
When I put the seats in, I placed my knee in the middle of the seat with all my 230lbs into it, to compress the seat cushion, then the seatbelts are super tight.

Don;t know how big your kids is, but forward facing is MUCH easier to deal with.

After looking at a pic of your child seat online...http://www.centuryproducts.com/Sect...p?ProductCategoryID=18&ProductModelTypeID=158
I can see now what kind of a base you are dealing with, and I thing that the 2x2, notched action will help you out.

Good luck.
Remember to move the seat into each of the 3 rear seat locations about once a month, so that the seat does not distort your seat covers (beit cloth or leather).

Greg

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, great idea!!

I was thinking about something solid...

I'll give that a try, thanks! :D

·
NO LIFE POSTER
252 Posts

·
NO LIFE POSTER
252 Posts
Good luck.
Remember to move the seat into each of the 3 rear seat locations about once a month, so that the seat does not distort your seat covers (beit cloth or leather).

Greg [/B][/QUOTE]

The best and most safe location is the center. Who care if there is any distortation. Your child should come 1st instead of worring about the DAMN seats distorting.... I have never had any seat distortation in any of my cars.

You could always get the rear windows tinted..

·
Registered
128 Posts
You guys do know that if you pull the seat belts all the way out, they then ratchet (lock). I haven't had a baby seat in the Altima yet, but this worked great in my '98 Accord.

Oh, and the Owner's Manual has a lot of info on installing infant seats.

·
NO LIFE POSTER
252 Posts
Davard said:
You guys do know that if you pull the seat belts all the way out, they then ratchet (lock). I haven't had a baby seat in the Altima yet, but this worked great in my '98 Accord.

Oh, and the Owner's Manual has a lot of info on installing infant seats.
HE IS right, pull out all the seat belt and then release it and it should tighten up good.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have leather seats and the car seat would slide side to side so I bought some of that non-slip padding you put under carpets on hardwood floors and that helped to minimize the sliding. You can get it a Home Depot.

If anyone's looking for a new car seat, go here ...Snug Kids . It's the car seat fit guide for the Altima.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.