The Nissan Club banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
pre cat failure

I also just purchased a 2006 spec v today and was just checkin out the info on the car. It drives great and I also have 40k miles on mine. All this talk of recalls and blow engines is pretty scarey. Do I need to install an aftermarket header??? Is there anything else I need to know as a first time nissan owner?
If it was me i would replace the pre cat with a header. Ihave the 2004 spec v and it had both the pre cat issue and a butterfly screw that came out in the intake. Its better to be safe then sorry. I didn't even hit 100,000 miles and had to replace the motor, i got an used motor from a 2006 and i put a header on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
butterfly screw

so if im able to take the manifold off then that means it hasnt been locktited is that what you telling me
After you take the manifold off there is a flapper in each cylinder , each flapper is held in with 2 screws in mine one of the screws was missing and was ingested vinto the motor

·
Registered
9 Posts
recall butterfly screw & pre cat

Ok guys so considering all the information on this thread about the recalls, I just bought a 06 Spec V Sentra and I ran the VIN with Nissan to see if my specific car needed any of these and they claim no. That when you call Nissan they shold have it under your vin and i fthe vin is given and they cant find any recalls needed for your car that no need to have anything done. Is this true? Is the 06 fixed of all the other 2.5 problems since 03? Any advised on this would help? And I have an issuie with my Spec V, some engine noise that I cant pin point. sounds like lifters of valves clicking and a whistling noise in the valve cover. Yes I am using premium gas and i just bouight teh car and there is no lack in performance. 40k, no mods. anyone else hearing clicking or tapping coming from the vavles or lifters? This a common problem? since under 60k, shouldnt Nissan looked at it for free?
Nissan told me according to my vin i had no recalls yet there was a voluntary recall for a butterfly screw coming out on the 2003 & 2204 2.5 engines and low and behold my car stopped running, took it to a shop and they found a butterfly screw missing--COINCEDENCE?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Recalls

I have a 2004 ser spec-v with a littleover 93000 mi on it. Replaced the header with Dc sports at about 50000 mi and have had no issues with any of the recalls, so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Recall spec v

My car had 99,000 miles on it when the butterfly screw came out of the intake manifold and went into my engine, the best thing you can do is have it checked and what Nissan did to fix the problem is loctite the screws. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Man!!!!! REALLY!!!!! just bought my 03 Sentra SE-R Spec V and it has 120+ miles on it already... I sure hope I did not made the wrong decision on buying my Sentra:sad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there a way to check the all the recalls have been corrected on my vehicle? I have a 2004 Spec-V and it was under Full warranty until Aug 2010. I do know that when I had brought it in for normal maintenance, that they did do updates when recalls were due. Is there a way to find out what updates were completed?

Just to clarify, as long as all the updates are done, it should not blow up or stop working, right?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is there a way to check the all the recalls have been corrected on my vehicle? I have a 2004 Spec-V and it was under Full warranty until Aug 2010. I do know that when I had brought it in for normal maintenance, that they did do updates when recalls were due. Is there a way to find out what updates were completed?

Just to clarify, as long as all the updates are done, it should not blow up or stop working, right?
PM me your VIN and I can run it thru the system to see what, if any were done, as long as NISSAN has not purged your vin fron the database

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pre cat failure recall denial

Hey guys I hope you can help me with this pre cat failure nightmare that I know a lot of you have been dealing with.

Firstly, on Sept 23 my mechanic told me that my 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R spec v has engine failure because of a well known Nissan exhaust engineering problem where debris from the pre cat enters the engine. Luckily my vehicle was eligible for a recall that is related to this problem so I open a case with Nissan (Sept 24) and confirm my mechanics findings with them over the phone. The service representative advised me to send it to the nearest Nissan service provider (Nissan of Atlantic City), so on September 26 I bring the vehicle in for the recall procedure.

The dealer does not officially get back to me until October 19th with a denial for an engine replacement. The dealer service rep suggests that I plead my case to Nissan consumer affairs so I do, but to no avail. The worst part is that I can not get verification or evidence from them of how they determined that my problem is not related to my pre cat. Luckily i was able to attain the recall service bulletin ...

Now here is where I think we can hold them accountable guys:

1. The debris in my oil can easily be matched with the debris from the pre cat by visual inspection and microscope inspection.
2. This is the big one : the recall service bulletin-*open the pdf version for better format(NISSAN RECALL CAMPAIGN BULLETIN) spells out a service procedure and depicts a flow chart for the technician to follow, and in procedure D where it is determined if engine placement is needed, the only inspection that is done is looking at the bottom grate inside the pre cat!

How can they justify this as a thorough inspection of the precat as indidcated in the beginning of the service bulletin?! According to the flow chart they don't even have to detach the precat from the top of the header?! Can anybody explain to me what the bottom grate has to do with the remnants in the middle of the pre cat going into the engine ? This does not seem logical at all and they need to be held accountable for this.

After I retrieved my vehicle (October 26) my mechanic detached the pre cat completely and he took pictures of the debris that is at the top and bottom of the precat. Furthermore if you shake the pre cat it sounds like a maraca, which is logical indication that the cat has failed.

Not to mention that the dealer broke the 2 screws that attaches the pre cat to the exhaust and they were going to give me the vehicle back like this until I asked them nicely to fix it. Furthermore the service bulletin says this can take up to 5 days but they took almost a month with my vehicle, annnndd they never finished the service flow chart and installed a new pre cat like the service flow chart in the recall bulletin clearly states. What a nightmare.

With all of that being said I have opened up a claim with the BBB and I intend to take this to arbitration. There is no way an arbitrator (barring corruption) can rule for them with all of this evidence. :crying

Guys, please help me hold Nissan accountable . Thank you for reading.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,740 Posts
Sad story. Far from uncommon story. Thousands of PO'd people have been left with perfectly good cars except for the engine being completely worn out... Some still making payments on a car that won't drive.

Reality is Nissan only warrants these for the 'Emissions' warranty, which I think was 8yrs/80Kmi. You my friend, are well beyond that best before date....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. If you read the recall service bulletin that i attached to my message it does not give a warranty requirement (80k/8yr). This is a recall claim, not a warranty claim.

·
5,740 Posts
There's no way you are getting an engine out of Nissan...many have tried and failed before.

I'd focus on the best way to either put another one in, or find a replacement vehicle. You don't want to descend into the pit of insanity...

·
Registered
4 Posts
With all due respect d0ugmac1, your mentality is the reason why companies like Nissan get away with these types of injustices. I have already replaced the vehicle, and I take pride in my patience and persistence. Like i said before i have opened a claim with the BBB and intend to take it to arbitration so i will keep all of you posted. With that being said any input from somebody that has experience with my type of situation and/or any input from someone with a legal background would be dearly appreciated. Thank you

·
5,740 Posts
I am not a lawyer but I have been through it personally.

'03 Altima SE V6 5MT....engine failure at 7 years and 45Kmi due to precat disintegration. Engine replaced at Nissan's expense under emission warranty. 10 other people with '03's that month didn't get their engines replaced because they were high mileage and 'out of warranty'. I did a LOT of web research during that period. 8 years/80Kmi is the legal 'life expectancy', nobody got a free engine beyond that. I did however talk them into two new precats, new O2 sensors and I provided a new v-belt and other maintenance items for the replacement since the labour was already covered.

I wish you the best of luck trying to stick it to Nissan on a 13 year old car. I was just hoping to persuade you to spend your waking hours on a more productive, fruitful endeavor. So go ahead, knock yourself out and let us know how it turns out.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts