The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a Hyanes manual for my 94 Alty GXE, I am reading up on basic maintenance on my car. I noticed that the book has the recommended fluids to use, but I figure the book must be somewhat outdated. I have 136,000 miles and the Alty has received regular oil changes and tune ups (I have just deceided that I want to learn to do these jobs myself). What are the recommended products and brands for: engine oil, engine coolant, washer fluid, and brake fluid. Also, the book doesn't mention or teach much about the battery electrolyte so any help would be great. Thanks for reading. Sorry for the n00b questions.

Andy

·
I keep em comin back.....
3,205 Posts
Amsoil motor oil 5w-30, Rain-X washer fluid, Redline gear oil for tranny, Motul brake fluid (awesome shit!!), Prestone pre-mixed coolant/antifreeze with 1/2 bottle of Redline Water Wetter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I grabed some things today, are these good?

Castrol GTX High Mileage SAE 10W-30
Prestone Super Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT3 - for ABS disc
& drum brake systems

Also, the book doesn't talk about the Battery Electrolyte very much. How do I know when to fill it with distilled water? Is there a min and max marker? Thanks again for the help.

·
3,205 Posts
Depends on what you want for your car, what do you think is best? I personally do not agree with anything Castrol, but that's my own opinion. Research the popular name brands and view comparison charts that describes which is better then the other and make your own desicion

·
Registered
16 Posts
Many of you are naming motor oils that are "ok", but this is a forum for enhusiasts and so "Driveclean" and "Valvoline 10w" just won't cut it !!!

The truth is that Synthetic motor oil is the best! there is no doubt about it!

...so if the question is not petroleum vs. synthetics but rather what brand of SYNTHETICS...

The answer is: AMSOIL! http://www.amsoil.com

They invented synthetics and recommend intervals up to 32,000 miles. Imagine how healthy your engine will feel if you change an oil that is designed to last 32,000 at 5,000 or 10,000 . You'll never have problems!

Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil is the best type motor oil AMSOIL makes. notice the "0W", not even Mobil 1 has the technology to mass-produce that factor, Mobil 1 is a joke!

In this topic, someone else mentioned Amsoil but their mentioning is worthless because they simply listed other brands right next to it... Kind of like saying, "the most reliable car is Nissan, Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota" Confusing!

Good luck!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Amsoil is so great that they buy their basestocks from Mobil and additive package from Lubrizol(which supplies many brands with additive packages). They did not invent synthetics. What they have is one great marketing dept and lots of BS users/sellers. Mobil1 has "0w20, 0w30, and 0w40". And, Mobil1 is factory fill on many supercars. Is Amsoil factory fill anywhere????????

Castrol makes excellent oils and is also factory fill on many vehicles. That 10w30 should be good for normal 3k OCIs.

The best oil is one that you PROVE with UOAs when compared with other oils' UOAs that you have used. I just don't believe that any oil is best. They all have their weak and strong points.

Since you have 136k miles, any mineral oil with 3k change intervals is good. Synthetics are best; cost is higher but you can easily perform 6k OCIs with most of them. If you don't drive much, you should stick with timely and not mileage oil change intervals.
If you have oil control problems(leakage/burnage), you might benefit from the "high mileage" marketed oils. I've used "high mileage" oils to stop leakage in various vehicles. Im guessing that they are a little thicker and have possibly more seal conditioners. High mileage oils are probably not needed if you are not burning or leaking oil.

Stick with name brand oil filters. Purolater/Wix/Champ and their store branded clones are good filters. Fram orange can often gets a bad rap. But, I've installed 100's of Frams orange cans without ever having engine failure. I haven't seen the need(through UOAs) for any of the boutique filters. I also use oversized filters for more oil capacity and larger filtering area.

I'll state that Nissan antifreeze is the best. I use Prestone dex(death)cool in one Nissan. And, I use normal green(yellowbottle) Prestone in another. The cleanest radiator is the Nissan OEM antifreeze with Dexcool 2nd. As long as you change the antifreeze regularly and stick with distilled water, any should work well!

Do you have an automatic or 5 speed? I find that Redline MT90 shifts the best with a 5 speed. For the automatic, I've used all the major synthetic ATFs and all seem to be alike. Amsoil/Mobil1/Redline/Torco/..... make excellent ATFs.
If you don't want the synthetic expense, for manual trannies, use OEM Nissan gear oil. For automatics, use any dexronIII with regular(drain plug) drain/refills. I drain my ATF at every oil change. Its quick(since there is a drainplug and bucket is already under the car), cheap(only takes 3 quarts), and keeps my tranny shifting perfectly.

My brake fluid choices are Castrol GTLMA and Valvoline Synpower. Speedbleeder is what I use for caliper/cylinder bleeders.

Add distilled water to the battery(if serviceable) until it is just below the plastic cover. If you over fill it, it will vent. This might cause a little rust below the battery. Use some bakingsoda/water below the battery. I prefer the maintenance-free sealed batteries. I'm too lazy to add water to the battery and don't bother with it anymore.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, thanks for the info/advice...

I still think AMSOIL 0W30 is the best...

http://www.concealcarry.org/amsoil/

"Amsoil Corporation was founded in 1973 and invented synthetic lubrication for automobiles. Imitators such as Mobil 1, followed. Today Amsoil is the industry leader in synthetic lubricants for automotive, recreational and industrial applications."

AMSOIL got taken to court by the FTC for using the slogan "First in Synthetics" AMSOIL simply stated " We're the first that came out with a fully synthetic motor oil for cars, simple as that" The FTC then said that STILL you can't really use the slogan, you must also be the best as well. AMSOIL submitted independent tests that proved that they are BETTER then EVERYONE, even "Mobil 1"

http://amsoil.com/graphs/0w30GIF_600px.gif

http://amsoil.com/products/tso.html

Therefore, AMSOIL still uses the slogan "first in synthetics" and will forever and the FCC has completely backed off. Now the FTC is after the Slick 50 products and even Mobil 1 for telling people their higher grade gas will make a difference.

Mobil 1 is "Exxon Mobil". Exxon Mobil is in the oil business that's why they make the best gasoline, etc...

In order to make synthetics, you need basestocks to derive everything from... AMSOIL does not have a presence in the Middle or anywhere else oil exist.
Your statement is like saying "Edison didn't even the light bulb because he got his materials from Wal Mart (whatever they had back then :) )

Also, your advice about draining the tranny along with the oil change sounds AWESOME, except most people can't do that on their own and most shops charge the full $60 or $100 to include tranny drain. What will the mechanic say when I tell him to only charge me $20 extra or something on top of the oil change since the car is already in mid-air. ?

Thanks for all the info,

Chris

·
Registered
674 Posts
Never quote a mfg's website. The data there will always cater to the mfg. Learn how the tests are run and you will understand how easily biased they can be. Ever watch an infomercial?

Amsoil wasn't first.
Motul/Neo/Mobil/USArmy/Synlube/FirstSyn had synthetic lubes prior to 1972.

What FCC case are you or Amsoil quoting? More hearsay!

·
Registered
16 Posts
World's best

FTC not FCC :)

Simply FTC complained about them using "First in Synthetics", then AMSOIL had independent tests run that proved they kicked ass and FTC said "OK, do your thing"

So then what would you say is the best oil I can pour into my 1998 Altima GLE? Preferrably 0w-30 and Synthetic....

Thanks,
Chris

·
3,205 Posts
deadrx7conv said:
I'll state that Nissan antifreeze is the best. I use Prestone dex(death)cool in one Nissan. And, I use normal green(yellowbottle) Prestone in another. The cleanest radiator is the Nissan OEM antifreeze with Dexcool 2nd. As long as you change the antifreeze regularly and stick with distilled water, any should work well!

What about Prestone premixed coolant? I also heard that dexcool is a no, no for our cars. What Nissan do you use it on?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Capframe, try a back to back comparison between Amsoil/Mobil1/Mobil1R/Castrol/Motul/Maxima/.... They all have 0w30 synthetic oils. Run all the oils for the same amount of miles. Use the same brand of oil filters. And, send a sample to whichever oil analysis lab for comparison. That is the ONLY way to find out which oil is BEST. I also don't see why you'd even need a 0w30 in your location. Isn't it usually warm in Cali? Other than during a cold spell, I would think that a 10w30 or 40wt would be a better choice.

BlackSE, I used dexcool in an Altima, Sentra, and Maxima. I also have several non Nissan vehicle running Dexcool in place of IAT(standard yellowgreen) coolant. No problems developed over the last 4-5 years. I could not for the life of me cause any cooling issues related to the coolant. What surprised me is how spotless the cooling system was. Only the OEM Nissan coolant was cleaner, most likely because the vehicle had less miles. Dexcool, when used correctly, is an excellent coolant. Because most automakers didn't want to pay GM a royalty for dexcools OAT technology, they developed hybrid-OAT coolants. These are used by most automakers today. A big no-no is mixing different types of coolant. A 2nd big no no is to expect any coolant to last as long as the owners manual or bottle label claims.

The standard Prestone and its 50:50 premix is a good yearly antifreeze.

·
3,205 Posts
I know that DexCool is superior to the other base coolants, and you've used it in your Nissans for years. If I were to flush mine out and refill with Dexcool I would have no problems?? Also, what makes it better then the rest?

·
Registered
674 Posts
The problem with flushing is that you'd never get all the old coolant out. Never!
You shouldn't mix a standard coolant with dexcool ever.

I'm guessing that the switch in technology(from IAT to OAT) is what makes it better. The weakness is that GM expects it to last 100k miles or more. I've found that NO antifreeze lasts more than 2 years before causing crud buildup. Regardless of brand/type used, I'd recommend yearly changes(but not flushes) to prevent deposits.
Flushes, if not done properly, tend to throw off water/coolant ratios, leave chemicals behind if using cleaning solutions, and really aren't needed if a more consistent mileage/time maintenance is used.

The newer hybrid OAT antifreezes supposedly mix with older antifreeze swithout any negative issues. I'm pretty close to converting vehicles to Zerex G05 or Peak Global. If I were to stop using regular antifreeze today, I'd skip over Dexcool and try the G05 or Global. There is less of a chance of additive clash with remaining coolant if the flush isn't thorough.

·
3,205 Posts
Hmm interesting nonetheless, I think I'll stay with what I got, Prestone 50/50 premix and water wetter and go from there. Thanks for your opinion deadrx7conv!!! It's always respected.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts